Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

To age or not to age

age it as long as you can. i've hung old deer for probably 3 weeks before.

age it as long as you can. i've hung old deer for probably 3 weeks before.

What's the longest you think you would let one hang?

A lot depends on temp, humidity and size of the animal. I would say 3 weeks is pretty much max on a deer.

• Like 2

being in the processing field for 7 years as a side job it didnt matter. Cut the oldest one first and move down the line. My old boss said for game didnt help as there was no fat in game to break down like a finished beef so why not get it done. I hang mine 3 days on average or longer if I dont have time to cut or no one to wrap for me. West side someone could make a killing processing game if they didnt mind not having a life. Just not going to be me. I donate my walk in to family and friends and thats enough.

• Like 1

Yeah, 3 weeks is a long time. They get real moldy on the outside. When they get that way, we soak towels in vinegar and wipe all the mold off and trim off the protective layer. Seems strange to a lot of people but man does it make them taste good. You can age different cuts of meat in the refrigerator pretty good too. Put the meat on a small rack that is a little bit elevated (like a cookie cooling rack), put a cookie sheet under it to collect anything thing that drips out and let the meat age for a few days, up to about a week before cooking it. Works great when you can't hang the whole animal for an extended period

• Like 1

Kind of hard to do here when the night time temps are 65 degrees and into the 80-90's in the day

• Like 1

if you have a big ice chest you can age a deer pretty good. fashion some sort of rack to keep the meat off the bottom and out of the liquid. i have a great big pelican cooler and aged my deer in it in my garage for about 10 days last year

Guest akaspecials

I age all big game in coolers. Add a layer of ice to the bottom and then the meat on top on a rack to keep it off of the ice. I change the ice and melted water every day or two mattering on how hot it is.

I disagree with the statement in the article about not aging pork. In my experience wild pork, especially older animals, benefits from a week or so of aging.

This explains why the game I take is generally tough. I almost always use the gutless method, chill, cut & wrap within a day or two

of the kill. Will continue to do it that way but will thaw & age in the fridge.

This explains why the game I take is generally tough. I almost always use the gutless method, chill, cut & wrap within a day or twoof the kill. Will continue to do it that way but will thaw & age in the fridge.

Don't cut meat until rigor mortis has passed. Usually after 24 hours or so. Butchering while in rigor mortis is about the worse thing to do.

I usually wait until day 2 before any cutting.