lancetkenyon

Taylor Puts Meat in the Freezer....Again.

Berger Hybrids are supposed to have a thicker jacket. Entry hit no rib, exit took out a rib.

The HVLD is designed to penetrate 2-3", then violently expand, shedding 40-90% of it weight in the next 12" creating massive hydrostatic shock and tissue damage. Higher velocities shed more weight.

I have shot quite a few animals with both the HVLD and Hybrids (& SMKs), large and small. The only time I have not seen an exit is on quartering shots on bull elk, where more than 18" of penetration would have been needed to exit. I have (knock on wood) never lost an animal with a Berger HVLD, Hybrid, or SMK. In .224", .257", .264", .284", .308".

• Like 1

Ok thanks for info. Is the Hybrid the same as the hunting bullet? I know they also make a target bullet, not sure if that is the HVLD.

forepaw

Ok thanks for info. Is the Hybrid the same as the hunting bullet? I know they also make a target bullet, not sure if that is the HVLD.

forepaw

No, the Hybrid is technically a "target" bullet, and "not intended for hunting purposes" per Berger. It has an ogive that is a "hybrid" or combination of a tangent ogive shape (traditional ogive shape) and a secant ogive shape (as found in the VLDs). The thicker jacket does not allow the bullet to shed 40-90% of it's weight after 2-3" of penetration like the hunting line of VLDs and Classic Hunter or Extreme Outer Limits Hunter do. But personally, they open great once inside, and retain more weight to give a bit better penetration, and usually give an exit would that bleeds. I have never recovered one, so I cannot say how much weight they retain, or what they look like. But a 2.5-3" exit wound leads me to believe it is working just fine. And having game go anywhere from 0 to 75 yards at most from the animals I have shot with them in various calibers, means I will continue to use them personally. Shot placement is still key. The hunting lines state that the shedding of 40-90% add shrapnel and massive hydrostatic shock, leading to quick kills, even in shots that are not perfect.

The VLD (Very Low Drag) comes in 2 types. The "Hunting" VLD (HVLD), and the "Target" VLD. Same principal as discussed prior. The hunting VLD has a slightly thinner jacket than the target version. The target version is "not intended for hunting purposes", per Berger.

The VLD lines have been known to be just a bit finicky on seating depth due to their ogive shape. You will be getting decent groups, but then when you do seating depth testing, you will definitely find a sweet spot somewhere in a .0400" range where the bullet performs the best by far. Some rifles like them jammed into the lands (my .25-06 AI pushing the 115 HVLD likes them jammed), some like a jump of about .0500"-.0600" (usually the norm, and where my 6.5 SLR & .260 Rem using a 140 HVLD, and my 7RM w. 168 HVLD likes them), and some like a big jump, like .120" (my .300RUM w. 210 HVLD).

The Hybrid has shown to be more forgiving with seating depth tastes, making it easier to tune. I have a few different loads using hybrids for hunting purposes. 6.5 SLR w. 140 Hybrid, 7RM w. 180 Hybrid (as seen in this thread), and my .300RUM w. 215 Hybrid. All shoot lights out. All of these loads have taken game as well, with phenomenal results.

You can read up on Berger bullets, both different types, and different shapes, here. http://www.bergerbullets.com/information/line-and-designs/

• Like 1

I can't believe I forgot to mention in my first post, but Taylor used my father-in-law's rifle that he gave to me this January when he passed away. It is the first elk the rifle has ever taken, even in all of the years we hunted together, but hopefully the first of many to come in the future. I know he was looking down on us during the hunt, and is still smiling ear to ear that his granddaughter took her second elk with his rifle.

• Like 2

Yep. I noticed too.

Congrats to her on a nice elk. I am twice her age and killed less elk than her.

Finished all the burger grinding and sausage today. Total weight count: 256# of finished meat. 201# total elk. Steaks, roasts, stew meat, back straps and tenderloins.

17 packs of 1.25# 70% elk, 30% beef ribeye roast burger

Sausage is 60% elk, 40% pork, all in 1# packages.

7# of spicy maple breakfast sausage

13# of sweet/hot Italian sausage

14# of hot chorizo

Bacon wrapped back straps tonight! A nearly full freezer is a glorious thing.

20161023_162553_zps3hhx1ty2.jpg

20161023_151130_zpsywrrowwe.jpg

• Like 1

Center cut back straps. Wrapped in bacon, marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sprinkled with fresh garlic, Montreal seasoning, Teriyaki sauce. 30 minutes at 275°, then out to rest for 10, the sear on a hot cast iron skillet.

20161023_174803_zpsvwalaydg.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats for a fridge full of meat