Thursday, I was supposed to go down and meet up with my buddy Josh, to be in our glassing spot early Friday morning.

At 0130 Thursday I left work, taking sick leave not feeling well. 0400, 0730 and 1200 I'm violently puking. Not a good start. Once I get it out of my system I feel ok and head out of town.

Friday morning, josh and i are up and at em early. Well, having not eaten for 30+ hours really took its toll on me and the hike in was brutal. I kept telling Josh "I'm fat and out of shape, but not THIS fat and out of shape. I've got nothing in the tank!" But, I eventually made it to where he was and we began glassing.

Kind of a slow morning, about 10 does and 5 small bucks, but we persevered on.

Now came the tedious, sometimes slow and sleepy mid day glassing. I was falling asleep, but was determined to keep eyes on the hill best I could. At 1130, I snapped awake when I spotted the outline of a deer tail, then a rump then ears then horns! I could see he was a solid 3 point, so I went to get Josh. I got josh on him, as well as my spotting scope. We both agreed, low 90's looking buck.

With a virgin rifle, in a new unit, with a new hunting partner, and a empty freezer from not killing last year, I knew this buck was likely in serious trouble.

The buck bedded 10 minutes later before we could do anything about it. For the next 5 hours we stared at the bush. Nothing!

At 415, Josh spotted the buck walking out. I put the binos back on him and confirmed I was going to shoot him.

The sig kilo read 475. A few clicks on the scope, a round in the chamber and the 28 nosler was ready to rock. At that time the buck turned tail and headed back into the bush.

About 15 minutes later he came out the other side. One squeeze of the trigger (admitidly missing my mark but still instantly killing him) the buck was rolling down the steep face he was on.

A few pictures, gutless method, heavy packs and back to the truck we went.

20161021_173134_zpsuycrxffx.jpg

20161021_173153_zpsitebv2pz.jpg

• Like 32

Awesome buck man. Congrats!