ctafoya

Skull cleaning

I got our skulls pretty clean. I'm having trouble in the very back. I don't want to boil anymore and this crap won't come off. Any ideas?post-4317-0-85909400-1477867888_thumb.jpg

Get a flathead screwdriver and pop out those eardrums, that will help alot. After you do that let it sit out over night, that stuff will harden up a bit then you can pick alot of it off with a stiff knife. Pressure warsh it, and hit with a good wire brush too.

That's why beetles are so much better. They eat everything. If you take your time and are patient... you can clean up the remaining flesh with the tip of a knife. There's less than five minutes work there. Ed F

Get yourself a box of borax from Wal-Mart and rub it on that flesh until it falls off. You will see what I mean when you try. Also small nylon brush STIFF black nylon. DONT USE METAL IT WILL TURN BONE GRAY.

Thanks for the tips. I would hate to ruin my first respectable coues.

What I usually do to bleach is use a mixture of 25-30% peroxide and 70% water. I noticed that if I leave a little bit of that on the skull, when I bleach it, it just dissolves or falls off of it. I still try to take most off before hand. Needle-nose pliers work well for those pieces.

+1 on the borax. I usually put it in the water I'm boiling the skull in and it really helps dissolve/soften tissue. Then a brush or pressure washer removes it from those hard to reach places pretty easily.

Frying pan with some egga, just like corned beef and hash.

I have an old test light that I bent the tip like something you would find at the dentist. Works pretty good for those nooks

Get something like a screw drive and pop out the eardrums. After that everything will come out real easy!