Viper

Got it done Monday...all day!

Deer hunt success Monday, 12/12/16. This was the toughest adventure of all my hunts. 12 hours from the time I started after this buck until we got him out. Bill, Brian and I glassed him up early morning, one mile across a major canyon. I decided to go after him at 8:30. Bill and Brian kept an eye on him and watched him bed. It took 3 hours to get in position. Bill guided me to the best position on the opposite ridge so I could look back to find him. It took about 20 minutes to find him in his bed, across a canyon at 375 yrds. I focused on what I thought was an ear, until it moved...got him! My only shot, if he doesn't stand up, is through a small opening in the brush. After careful study with the binos, I determined which way he was laying. It took a while to set up. The shot had to be perfect. Sitting up, I rested my rifle on top of my upright pack and used my collapsible shooting sticks under the stock for a rear rest. He had his head resting low, so I blew the grunt call to stand him up. He just raised his head to look, then dropped his head again. I got ready again and blew the call. As he raised his head, I settled the crosshair below his nose and squeezed the trigger....boom...thwap! I got the scope back on him as quick as I could. No movement. I could make out a sliver of his grey back laying there. I phoned Bill..."did you see him bust out?"...."No". "I think he's dead right there!" After the shot, it took 1 hr. to get to him. Brian guided me to him. The bullet hit exactly where I aimed, centered through his lower neck. It took about 2 hours to cape and bone him out and load my pack. Holy CRAP it was heavy! I decided to go a different route, down to a major canyon bottom and up the other side to a trail that led back to where I started. The way I had come in included two brush-choked canyons with serious deadfall. No way I could carry a 80 lb. pack through that. It took 5 hours to pack him out up a long, steep ridge to the trail. It's dark now and Brian and Bill came down the trail to meet me. I made it within a couple hundred yards from the trail when Brian came down to take the load. I had crossed a total of 4 canyons, choked with tall brush and deadfall, and climbed out of the last canyon 500 vertical feet in 1/3 mile. I really had to dig deep and expend every ounce of energy and tenacity I had. I had no idea I was capable of carrying that kind of weight through that kind of country. I learned a little more about myself...and renewed my prayer life :). Big thanks to Bill and Brian for sticking behind the binos for so many hours and putting me in position...then helping with the load the last 1/4 mile. The cool thing about this buck is the piebald pigment on his legs, chest, and belly. It should make a unique mount.

post-2983-0-01356300-1481752161_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-96940000-1481752314_thumb.jpg

Not too good with the selfie thing

post-2983-0-06281000-1481752359_thumb.jpg

Notice the light colored hoof and piebald leg and chest

post-2983-0-84203400-1481752406_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-63031000-1481752454_thumb.jpg

80 lb. pack!

post-2983-0-47293700-1481752529_thumb.jpg

Backstrap goodness!

post-2983-0-13860900-1481752572_thumb.jpg

• Like 25

Updated with pics. Had trouble uploading.

Nice job sir. Great buck. Nice write up. Congrats

• Like 1

good job Brad!!!

Thanks Tony. Hows Danny? Haven't seen him in a long time.