Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Found destroyed camp

While hunting in the Rye area I came across a camp that looked as if it had been abandoned. Cattled were tearing thru everything. The tent had been buried in mud and off it's frame with cattle crapping and peeing all over it. It last rained Christmas Eve so know one has been there since. I wished I had taken pictures. I ran it across my mind whether to leave it or pick it all up. There were hundreds of dollars in equipment and I'm sure someone would eventually steal so I spent an hour picking it all up in hopes of returning it to it's original owner. I'm located in Tonto Basin and I can be reached at 480-710-5702. If anyone knows who this belongs to please give them my number so they can call and identify their items.

TJ

• Like 14

Might consider contacting local ranger district. Good chance they might call in forest service when they notice theur stuff is gone.

• Like 3

Probably, one of those idiots who try to "save" a camping spot for the next elk deer hunt lol

Good looking out TJ

Good job doing that TJ. People have to leave camp in a hurry sometimes. It seems more family emergencies happen around Christmas than any other time of the year.

• Like 1

Checking with the sheriff would be another idea. Have they reported their stuff missing? Have they been reported missing? Were they injured while hunting and evacuated? There are a number of possibilities.

did you ever hear from the person who left the camp?

I would not think he is stealing if he is putting his name and location out in the public forum.

Just as you have seen his post hopefully the owners of said camping equipment will also see it.

Ever stop and think that whomever owned said equipment might not have access to a the net?

• Like 1

I would not think he is stealing if he is putting his name and location out in the public forum.

Just as you have seen his post hopefully the owners of said camping equipment will also see it.

Ever stop and think that whomever owned said equipment might not have access to a the net?

He was just giving him a hard time, he wasn't seriously saying he stole it.

Who doesn't have access to the internet anymore especially when they are spending hundreds of dollars on hunting and camping stuff.

• Like 1

Turn it over to the proper authorities, or it is stealing, I get it out of my hands.

I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I contacted the Gila County Sheriff's Office and they have contacted the owner. The owner phoned me yesterday and we have set up a time for the returning of their equipment. I wished I had taken pictures of the shape their camp was in. The cattle would have destroyed their entire camp if I hadn't picked it up. I had left a note attached to their archery target that the cattle had mostly destroyed. The owner said by the time they got back to their camp site, a week later, there wasn't much left of their target so I assume they ate the note. At first I left the tent, which was buried in the mud with cow poop and piss all over it, but when I came back the next day the cattle were standing and bedded on it. A 17ft canvas tent soak and wet with mud and cow matter weighs a ton. It was a toss up whether I was to leave it or not. I don't have any regrets of my decision. :)

TJ

• Like 13