Speedy

Trophy and Meat Care? Gutless?

This is my grandpas advise with pigs, "once you shot your javalina skin it as fast as possible and throw the hide as far as you can, then cut the glands off and throw them as far as you can, then pick up the carcass and throw it as far as you can, and that's how you field dress a pig". Ha ha bless his soul he has past on and onto a better life!!

• Like 2

Javelin a are awesome! Your stink problem comes from the gland on back about 3/4 way toward butt. Gland looks like a woman's breast and secrets their own personal scent. 😟 we tend to carry them like a purse or shove in pack and all that funk secrets out and contaminates the meat. You can remove sack or skin in field before hauling out. If you keep meat uncontaminated you can grill backstraps like any other meat. Personally I think they make fantstic summer sausage. Buddy and I once ground are pigs and put jerky seasoning in them and fresh ground jalapenos and had some of the best burger I have ever eaten!!!

Good luck on the hunt!

• Like 3

They are a blast to hunt. One of my favorite animals in fact. However as soon as you shoot one it sucks. We shot one down south a few years ago that stunk so bad that all three of us cleaning it were dry heaving.

• Like 2

I enjoy a challenge in the kitchen as well as the field! With most things it's all about how well you take care of the meat. After hearing all the stories about pronghorn antelope I was shocked at how good it was. But it was in a cooler w/i 15 minutes of hitting the ground via the gutless method.

If anything it will give my smoker a work out. That was the perfect recipe for a rutty old buck I shot last year.

I know one thing for sure, that there isn't enough BBQ sauce, garlic or onion that is going to make them taste half way decent. My buddy has made sausage out of them the last few years. They aren't half bad mixed with enough pork and other spices.

Gut it on the spot shot gun sling over shoulder to pack it out. Skin it don't touch hide and meat. Pit bar b que whole thing or summer sausage from Casey's in Flagstaff.

I've always wondered if the people that say they should not be eaten have ever eaten them at all. They're fantastic. Better than a stinky flop eared mule deer buck Imo.

• Like 5

Gutless method for sure. Slow cook submerged in a bullion/water solution of your choice, use plenty of water during the process. Cook only long enough to break down the meat. Pour off the liquid, shred the meat. Add BBQ, green chili or whatever you like. Simmer for 30 minutes. Tastes good.

• Like 1

I've thought of hunting them with a paintball gun, so I don't have to deal with a dead one LOL. I've always had them made into summer sausage...pretty good stuff.

• Like 1

I'm doing a breakdown of my pig i shot. Not done yet but so far she was 54 pounds on the hoof. Gutted skinned and no feet now hanging at 26 pounds. After I bone it out I expect to lose at least 10 more pounds of bone. So 15 pounds of meat if you dont shoot the heck out of it. Might as well bone it out in the field completely and not bust your back humping dead weight for nothing. I really like the paintball idea.

• Like 2

I use at least a half dozen knifes and a whole dozen pair of latex (or similar) gloves. ANYTIME you touch the outside of the pig change knife and gloves.

And the gland? Do NOT mess with it and it will not mess up your meat.

Remember. ...when you are taking the hero photos you are touching or already touched the pig so take a as you found it picture if you really have to have one. When ever I see trophy photos of everyone holding up the pig or posing with it I cringe. .... because the WHOLE pig smells, not just the back half.

My process is difficult but it yields some of the best game meat you have ever had. Ever, ever.

• Like 1

Just like others have mentioned above, field care is important! A member here once told me about the ice bucket method. After quartering the javelina and cleaning it up I put all meat into 5 gallon bucket filled with ice,salt and water overnight. In the morning repeat the same process again with fresh ice, water and salt. I've been using this method and all the meat comes out great.

My favorite way to eat javelina is making some spicy "pulled pork" sliders with sweet baby rays bbq sauce, topped with coleslaw on kings hawaiian bread.

• Like 1

Just like others have mentioned above, field care is important! A member here once told me about the ice bucket method. After quartering the javelina and cleaning it up I put all meat into 5 gallon bucket filled with ice,salt and water overnight. In the morning repeat the same process again with fresh ice, water and salt. I've been using this method and all the meat comes out great.

My favorite way to eat javelina is making some spicy "pulled pork" sliders with sweet baby rays bbq sauce, topped with coleslaw on kings hawaiian bread.

How do you cook it to make it "pull"?

How do you cook it to make it "pull"?

I throw the meat (quarter, bone-in) into a big crock pot. I throw in a whole diced red onion, diced tomatoes, diced roasted chile verde, fresh finely chopped garlic cloves, and salt. Dump all that into crock pot with meat/quarter and fill it with water to cover meat. Let that cook for about 8 hours or so. I like to leave it a little more than 8 hours, just depends on much meat is in the crock pot. Once the meat starts falling off the bone, I strain all liquid out. I shred the meat up with a fork and hands and throw back into the crock pot with some BBQ sauce and some fresh diced jalapenos. I let that warm up in the crock pot for a bit and its ready! That on kings hawaiian bread topped off with coleslaw is the best! I made it for a potluck at work a while back and everybody loved it. Given the fact I didn't tell anyone what it was lol :lol: . People tend to be turned off game meat before they even try it.

This recipe was also given to me by a member here but I changed it just a bit to my liking. So this is how I do it.

• Like 2