Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2017 Javelina

A big congratulation on another pig.

TJ

• Like 1

And that is why pig hunting is one of my favorite hunts all the way up until the kill. You never know what is going to happen. Sounded like one to remember.

• Like 2

Very cool! Great write-up. I went out Saturday and practiced "catch-and-release" - ha ha. I flat out missed at 40 yards. My excuse is I didn't want to clean one. Fun stalk though!

• Like 1

Cool story and thanks for the tips. I'm just learning but my only experience was in TX where I experienced first hand about it one I didn't see that was 10 feet away. And once you mortally wound an animal there are no ethic issues with follow-up shots. The only ethic issue is not following up IMO.

thanks everyone! Casey- it feels good to post stuff on here again, I did 1000 post from 2004-2008 and maybe 15 since then!

Zeke- theres 7 herds of pigs that I have been chasing for 20 years, every year they are usually in the same area, its nice that I hunt in probably the worst javelina unit in the state of AZ other than 13B and 12AW

And no, if its an archery tag you must kill VIA archery equipment, can't use a gun unless its a HAM or Rifle hunt

Thanks to all, going out this weekend, my pops hasnt filled his tag yet!

Wow that unit is a keeper then

Wow that's cool man! Did you do any calling or stalk only? Got a call for my kids to try here soon. Hoping to have them run in and get my oldest son hooked.

Just spot and stalk, calling doesnt work unless you are within 20/50 yards of a herd. Once in a while you could call them in from a long ways away but that's the same odd as calling in a coues with a bull elk bugle. I never tried it and I won't try it, all it does is educate the herds, I only use my call if I missed a shot and there are reds in the herd, if they come running back it's still hard as heck to pull a archery shot on a running pig

• Like 1

Classic fun! If there is any hole, crack, crevice, or cave within a mile, a wounded pig will always seem to find it! Well done!

• Like 1

thanks everyone! Casey- it feels good to post stuff on here again, I did 1000 post from 2004-2008 and maybe 15 since then!

Zeke- theres 7 herds of pigs that I have been chasing for 20 years, every year they are usually in the same area, its nice that I hunt in probably the worst javelina unit in the state of AZ other than 13B and 12AW

And no, if its an archery tag you must kill VIA archery equipment, can't use a gun unless its a HAM or Rifle hunt

Thanks to all, going out this weekend, my pops hasnt filled his tag yet!

Wow that unit is a keeper then

Its an area I was born in and BLM land was about 300 yards from my house, great area to grow up in