Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Pets

Yesterday I was faced with the unpleasant task of digging a grave for a little furry member of the family. Snickers was a guniea pig my wife and I adopted from a rescue. His previous family turned him in when he was 6 years old, they no longer wanted him. We only had him for 6 months. I cut up an apple when I pack my lunch. He loved apples and would squeak with anticipation as I cut one. When I took him his slice he would be dancing up on his back feet to take it from me. It was a good start to a work morning, sharing a little of your lunch and making him so happy. After I filled his grave I stood under the tree remembering others who are buried there. Lots of good memories.

One, Goofball, used to run over and pounce on my foot if I was in the kitchen. Once I looked down and acknowledged him he would trot over to the refrigerator and tap his nose on the door. I would come over, open the door, and start showing him vegetables, lettuce, celery, carrots cucumbers or parsley. If he did not want the one I pulled out he would stomp his feet, shake his head and look back up into the refrigerator. When I produced the vegetable he wanted he would run back to his pen and wait for me to bring it to him. One day I was thinking about how amazing it was that he had figured this out on his own, without being trained. It is an interesting moment in life when you realize that you have been trained by a rodent.

• Like 13

It is amazing the bonds we build with are pets sorry for your loss

Our furry friends enhance and shape our lives. We have all rescues including two cats.

The older cat has lost all his teeth but due to starting life feral, he's still an incredibly effective hunter. He leaves his kills consisting of lizards, birds, mice and the occasional bunny at my doorstep.

A curious tradition that a friend once explained away by saying, "It's simple, he's sharing his kills with you he thinks you're a lousy hunter."

• Like 2

The worst thing is that most of our pets have much shorter lives than we do. So we have to go through that over and over again. I had a GSP that I had to put down a few years ago due to liver cancer and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I told my wife I couldn't even imagine loosing a close family member. Luckily the hurt fades over time.

sorry for your loss. we foster dogs and have had 8 over the last year and a half. the most common comment is .....I'd never be able to do that because i would get to attached. Big ups to all who foster as it keeps a lot of pets from being put down.

• Like 2

I hear you on Guinea Pigs. My daughter had two and it was funny to have them popcorn and squeal when happy. Sorry for your loss. We just had to put down our 9 year old cat due to diabetes and starting of organ failure. I still cry over my "first" dog that was mine. Got her as an 8 week old German Shepherd/ Chow puppy when I was 15 and had to put her down 16 years later. All my pets have been shelter animals except for our bird.

We have a guinea pig named Jeremy. I don't really like guinea pigs or hamsters but Jeremy has decided I'm his favorite human. Yes he has me wrapped around his lil piggy pinky. He hears me in fridge and screams for his celery that I give him. I admit I talk to him in my best guinea pig voice and I think he thinks were related. ? This thing adores me and my wife and son get jealous when I walk in and he freaks out and gets all squeaky. L,O.L.

Sorry for your loss it's amazing how quick they can win our hearts.

• Like 2

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing a memory of your pet with us. It is not easy letting go but remembering all the good memories they bring our way makes it a little easier letting go.

TJ

We have a guinea pig named Jeremy. I don't really like guinea pigs or hamsters but Jeremy has decided I'm his favorite human. Yes he has me wrapped around his lil piggy pinky. He hears me in fridge and screams for his celery that I give him. I admit I talk to him in my best guinea pig voice and I think he thinks were related. ? This thing adores me and my wife and son get jealous when I walk in and he freaks out and gets all squeaky. L,O.L.

I had no idea guinea pigs were so personable!

I had no idea guinea pigs were so personable!

I have had Rotweillers and german shepherds, Each guniea pig has had just as much of a unique personality as the dogs. It is just contained in a smaller package. They have a life expectancy of 6 to 8 years, similar to a large dog. An advantage to the guniea pig is that it is much less painful to teach one not to bite. I still have a scar on my hand from a Rottie.

We've got slightly north of 30 guinea pigs..... my daughter shows them for 4h. Her and my wife home bred the national champ last year.

They're interesting critters.