Non-Typical Solutions

Wage Increase Trickle Down

Anybody notice any trickle down yet from the wage increase???

Couple of things that I have been told by workers at different places!

Restaurants charging for "extra" ranch dressing type items!!!

Motels additional charge for WiFi.....

Smaller portions served at restaurants.....

Longer lines at checkout because of RIF.......

I am not a smart person but do the smart people making up these crazy plans not get it???

I stopped by Burger King last week. Price of adding cheese to a burger went up.lol... Guy at the counter said prices going up slightly because of the increase in minimum wage.

several business in Flagstaff closed already because of the change. One of my favorite restaurants up here raised there lunch special from $7.50 to $9.50 and now charges for chips and salsa which used to be included.

Unfortunately, many people don't seem to understand basic economics. If you increase wages, you increase the cost of goods and services. If the cost of goods and services goes up, then so does the price. The business rarely absorbs all of the increased cost and it's passed onto the consumer (directly via higher prices or charging for extras that were previously free). The other option for businesses is to try to keep costs constant by reducing the number of hours people work, laying off people or automating processes. This results in layoffs, reduced customer service, or longer lines.

Almost every restaurant has increased their prices around my job. I usually buy my lunch on fridays, last week it was about $11 just for single burger and fries at Shake Shack.

Mmmmm....shack shake

Our insurance went up $16 a month, when the wife called to check into it the minimum wage hike was the reason they gave her. You would think with more money in their pockets the burger flippers of AZ would be able to afford insurance their selves and we would not have to pay for it.

Subway has a notice about price increases as as results on minimum wage increase posted right on the glass counter. So did another restaurant, but I can't remember where.

Barber went from $14 to $17 because of this.

We have nearly 100 employees with an average hourly rate of $9.30 before 2017 so it definitely hit us.

I usually have a dunkin doughnuts iced coffee every morning for $2.61. This year it is $3.05 so I started brewing my own coffee again.

The first of the year I ordered a coffee at the drive through and heard a different price than normal before I pulled up to the window. I thought they had screwed up my order until they handed me a black iced coffee. I asked what happened to $2.61 and the kid smiled and said minimum wage increase.

• Like 1