Flatlander

4B Roll Call

You all are nuts! Ya, I'm in that roll call. Not because this is the BEST unit in the world but because it's a good unit that I know the best. I've been hunting in that area for over 39 years. There's so much hype these days over what unit is the "best". It's all a bunch of crap. Units have up cycles and down cycles depending on weather patterns, management, and other factors. There is no "best".

Hunting a unit because somebody killed a 360 bull there last year is asinine! Almost laughable. Almost the same as putting in for the most popular unit because a guide service says it's the best. Pick a unit and learn it. Then go hunt there. It's a bummer that everyone is searching for the holy grail. Truth is many applied for 4b because it was easier to draw several years ago. It's NOT now. On average it's taking 8 points to be in the max pool for 4b and it will probably be higher this year. You have a much better shot at drawing 11m, 6a, 6b, or 7e to name a few.

There are some great bulls in 4b. I have seen them with my own eyes. To say there are very few is just plain wrong. To say the "average" bull is 300 is also wrong. The "average" bull is probably 200. A majority will go home with a spike or raghorn if they are lucky. It's because it's a hard unit to hunt. Very few options for glassing. It's extremely thick in many places and very flat. To say it's a sub par unit is crazy too. Unit 4b has a great population of elk. I can't think of anywhere in the entire unit that doesn't have elk in it. There is no shortage of elk, but you won't see 100 a day or even 100 for the entire hunt for that matter.

Now for the positive. The WM has done a great job in the last five years of managing the herd. The late hunt permits have been cut in half and they have now had 4 full years without an early rifle bull hunt. This has done wonders for increasing the age structure of the bulls. There are not 370-400 bulls behind every tree for sure. But there are many, many 350 bulls in the unit. That should be enough for anyone to consider it a good hunt. You could have a similar hunt in a whole bunch of units out there.

Good luck to all!

If you ever see a 4b bull that is 350, your having a great year!

I started with 4A & 4B....great place to learn about calling!

So if 4a/b is for the newbs what units do I need to put in for to be in the major leagues, to hang out with the cool kids?

So if 4a/b is for the newbs what units do I need to put in for to be in the major leagues, to hang out with the cool kids?

I am pretty sure all the cool guys apply for 9, 10, 23 or 1. But I know some pretty cool people who hunt in 4B, so . . .

But I think what Chris s was saying was that in 4a/b you used to could draw a tag much more often than in other more popular units which provided more opportunity to call elk and develop ones skills. It's harder to draw now but not near as bad as some of those other units.

I am pretty sure all the cool guys apply for 9, 10, 23 or 1. But I know some pretty cool people who hunt in 4B, so . . .

But I think what Chris s was saying was that in 4a/b you used to could draw a tag much more often than in other more popular units which provided more opportunity to call elk and develop ones skills. It's harder to draw now but not near as bad as some of those other units.

You forgot 3a/3c. THAT is where all the REALLY cool kids hang out....

One week baby.

I'm having point creep nightmares! :o

I don't know how those guys go 12plus years waiting to go hunt for archery! I can't do it. I'll settle for bulls around 300 to 370 on an archery hunt every 3 to 4 years, thank you.

• Like 1

I don't know how those guys go 12plus years waiting to go hunt for archery! I can't do it. I'll settle for bulls around 300 to 370 on an archery hunt every 3 to 4 years, thank you.

Whatcha drawing every 3-4 years?

• Like 2