Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

My son doesn't want to go Elk Hunting!!!

Trust me, I'm anything but cool and calm!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Reading this makes me nervous. Expecting our first in 2 weeks. Hopefully I can be as cool and calm as you!!

A little heads up on how this will play out for you. You'll spend 5 years teaching them to walk and talk and the next 15 years trying to get them to sit down and be quite.

• Like 4

I wish that was true. He's too interested in shoes and clothes! He is obviously very confused!!!!

my youngest was the same way....they way i got him hooked was dove hunting. I took him to a spot where he could shoot like crazy...he was hooked after that. For elk I just took him in the woods in the middle of july and august early morning and right at dark and the elk are everywhere. Those things got him

• Like 1

My daughter ditched me for last 2 different big game tags so I quit puting her in so nobody else lost out. Sorry Adam but kids will be kids. They have many more things to stimulate them now then we did when I was a kid so hunting was the BOMB!!! I had no phone or portable tv or video games

I loved my Nintendo in the 90's!! Also loved being home alone when the family went places. But hunting (anything!!) I was the first one to wake up and go. I remember a ride up the trail (hwy191) me in the back of the truck with a camper shell, 3dogs, and an ole chevy with an exhaust leak. I was sick as (Amanda edit)!!!! But still wanted to go! I can't explain kids these days. I don't want to call them names because this is the soft generation!

I have a dairy hook up for Eurasian doves in SW phx. If u think that might help we can set somethin up. 200 rounds through a shot gun is a lot of fun. Might be a stepping stone to other hunting.

I have a dairy hook up for Eurasian doves in SW phx. If u think that might help we can set somethin up. 200 rounds through a shot gun is a lot of fun. Might be a stepping stone to other hunting.

Offering up Eurasians to Adam is like waving a crack pipe in front of Richard Pryor.

• Like 4

Adams kid has shot more dove in the last two years than everyone one this post, Combined. He will come around and I think someone said it best, he said he wanted to put in and he needs to learn that his word means a lot.

• Like 2

Not all boys or girls are wired for it. Just because you are a hunter and a republican doesnt mean your kids will be. Ask me how I know.....

I would not push the issue especially with a teen, takes them a long time to get over it. Ask me how I know....

well - you could always go with - since you do not want to go elk hunting - I guess we don't have to go dove hunting anymore either.

What I haven't said in my previous post is my kids are actually my step kids. I don't ever call them my step kids, but in this case it seems to add value to the story. I've been involved in their lives since they were 2 and 6 months old. My youngest and I have the best bond. He is super easy going and we have fun doing anything together. He’s gone on a few dove hunts, but has never really shown any interest in hunting. I always ask him if he wants to come along, but he politely says not thanks. He has started going to the range with me and my dad. He really seems to enjoy shooting my AR. The only problem with taking him to the range is he likes to shoot a LOT of ammo. The last range trip he shot over 700 rounds of .223. Thankfully I reload! He has also agreed to go Turkey hunting with my wife and I in a few weeks. I’m hopefully optimistic he is starting to bond more with me and will eventually want to hunt and fish more with me. My oldest has always gone dove, duck, coyote, rabbit and quail hunting with me since he was 5 years old. Unfortunately my oldest has always been the most difficult to deal with. I have tried for the past 10 years to develop a good bond with him, but it just hasn't happened. I've taken him on lots of successful small game hunts! Even with all the success he has a horrible attitude towards me and does anything he can to make my life difficult and to make me look like I’m an idiot! I was honestly hoping taking him big game hunting would improve his attitude, but I think I was wrong.

last night my son asked me to take him to the golf course we live on so he could hit some balls. I reluctantly agreed, because I know anything we do together usually leads to a fight. I went anyway hoping for the best, like I always do. We walk about 60 yards from the green and he pulls out a few balls and is getting ready to hit. I look at the club he is holding and something doesn’t seem right. I stop him before he swings and ask him what club he is trying to use. As usual anytime I ask him ANYTHING, he says “why!” I ask again what the club is and he reluctantly tells me it’s a 2 iron. Since we are only 60 yards from the green and about 100 yards from the houses behind the green I stop him and tell him he shouldn’t use the 2 iron and to try a pitching wedge. He immediately says “why would I do that, you don’t know anything!” Typical response from my son! I tell him about how each club is designated for a specific function and distance. Then he proceeded to argue with me more and tell me he should be allowed to use any club he wanted. After arguing with him more he finally used the correct club. As you can imagine the next 30 minutes was more of the same!

After we got home he proceeded to tell my wife a completely different story. Thankfully my youngest was there and was able to collaborate my story. After seeing his attitude I sat him and my wife down so we could talk. I told my son I would no longer do anything with him alone. I told him I no longer trust him and refuse to spend time with him without another adult present. I told him how impossible it is to speak to him, because of his immature attitude and responses. Thankfully my wife stood by me and supported me 100 percent!

I highly doubt this will change anything, but maybe it will make a positive difference in the future!

• Like 2