STEVENFJR

Drew my 1st AZ Elk tag!!!

Good evening all,

Im still fairly new to AZ and had not had any luck on drawing an elk tag so decided to take a risk on the Disabled Vet hunt on Camp Navajo. I drew the rifle either sex tag for Sept 15-21. I have read all the horror stories and am aware of not being able to hunt and being hassled at the gate, etc. I have also heard good things about the hunt. With it being a military instillation and not being able to scout traditionally beside the week before, does anyone have knowledge they are willing to share? Was also thinking about taking advantage of the OTC deer hunt if I can get one of the 20 spots just to learn lay of the land and scout before my hunt. Any info will help.

Thanks and good luck to all on your upcoming hunts.

Shoot strait.

• Like 2

Sorry, I don't really know any info about that hunt (though a rifle any-elk tag in Sept. sounds pretty good! ^_^ ). Hopefully someone with some knowledge will chime-in!

Welcome to the site though, and good luck!!!

S.

Agree. September with a rifle in elk country is a very good thing. Travel prior to daylight listening for bugles should help in locating them.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Good tag! Don't forget that most people in AZ wait 18-22 years to hunt bulls during the rut with the rifle! You've got one of the best elk tags in the country! Yes there is some hassle and yes there could be some heartache if they postpone or cancel your hunt but from the sounds of it you don't have many if any points invested to go make the best of it. You'll be chasing the same elk the 6b guys waited 8-10 years to chase with a bow and 18-20 years to chase with a rifle! The bulls will be where the cows are that time of year and the cows will be in the depot for sure. Listen for bugles and you may be able to catch a heard in the buffer area to chase or if there's a heard in the limited area you can catch them coming out at the fence crossings. I was in there on a October cow hunt with a buddy and the area was tore up with rut activity. They were pretty well blown out of there by his hunt but we did get into one herd and he missed a shot at 130 yards. I wouldn't worry to much about scouting but if you can get in and deer hunt the last couple days of the deer season it won't hurt. Don't plan on seeing much for deer though! Finally, thank you very much for your service!!!!

• Like 3

I know the camp forester. I'll email him next week and see what he can do to provide some info. If you have to send me a gentle reminder, don't hesitate.

• Like 1

Congrats on the tag!!! Any rut hunt for elk is a hunt of a lifetime!!! Play with some mouth cow calls and learn how to use them. Wouldn't hert to try learning how to bugle with a mouth call ether. Recording yourself calling and playing it back helps a bunch on being able to tell if you are making the correct sounds. Good luck on your hunt and thank you for your service!!!

I killed a bull about 10 years ago on that hunt.At that time there was a core area that you were not allowed to access, no one.Then there was a buffer area,between the core,and the state land,this is where you could hunt.This was all torn up with rubs, trails,and elk signThe elk definatly know where you can go,and can't.They will head into the core and drive you crazy,wanting them to come out.That said I killed a small 6point that I called out on the southwest side.I know this is somewhat dated info,but I haven't applied for it again.Enjoy your hunt

I killed a bull about 10 years ago on that hunt.At that time there was a core area that you were not allowed to access, no one.Then there was a buffer area,between the core,and the state land,this is where you could hunt.This was all torn up with rubs, trails,and elk signThe elk definatly know where you can go,and can't.They will head into the core and drive you crazy,wanting them to come out.That said I killed a small 6point that I called out on the southwest side.I know this is somewhat dated info,but I haven't applied for it again.Enjoy your hunt

I think you are referring to the limited zone. I believe that area has always been huntable to military, retired military and civilians who work at the base with government clearance. No guns allowed in there so archery only but if the OP is a vet then he could bring a bow and hunt in side the limited zone archery and any method in the buffer zone

Good stuff. Thankfully Im half decent at calling in elk. This is my first AZ elk tag, but have been elk hunting NM most my life. Thanks for all the feedback!

Never hunted the depot but have hunted 6b. The elk jump back and forth between the the 2 so I would start looking on the southern part that borders 6b. There is a road the runs along the fence line that I have seen hunters walking. Also had helicopters fly overhead and mess me all up! Good luck!