Sign in to follow this  
RackTracker

Utah

My dad and I got the good news that we will be archery deer hunting in Utah for the first time in just a few months! Has anyone been on this hunt before or going this year? Was curious on the road conditions. Will a Rhino be needed or is a truck good enough? Planning to hunt near Monticello, however we have never stepped foot in this unit. Looks like there are a lot of roads in the unit so getting away from people may be a challenge. Has anyone been in this unit that has any info on what to expect it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to be chasing mule deer bucks in August!

post-12163-0-87825200-1495739206_thumb.png

Quite a few people know that unit, very popular. Just like any other unit in any state you will be hard pressed to get a honey hole from anyone. I killed a great buck in 2012 that I had seen for 3 years with very little pressure, now about 25 people hunt that area every year...

It went from buying a leftover tag every year to only getting drawn every other year in less than 10 years...

Lots of young bucks, fair amount of decent bucks and a few good bucks. Way too many road hunters. You will see plenty of bucks, just making a plan and putting it together is what is,difficult. If you just want to shoot something it should be fairly easy...Good luck.. I didn't draw this year.

You can get to most places in your truck, but a couple areas you would wish you had the rhino, gets sloppy if monsoons are strong..you will also see a lot of deer down low in the private property...lots of CWMU areas that you can not hunt so make sure you know the boundries...

Tons of deer. Most of the roads are in good shape. Lots of road hunters though. Expect to see some good elk and maybe a bear or two. I hunted the rifle hunt last year. Shot my buck on the 4th day. Saw so many deer stopped counting.

Great buck, I passed up one like that on opening morning up on Kaibab thinking I would see a bigger one, never did.

I lived east of Monticello 9 years. I'll pm you...

That is a stud buck Kaffer! Would be awesome to have an opportunity at that quality of deer but we will not be very picky with having two tags in a state we have never hunted. Sounds like there are high deer numbers so that is promising. Congrats jeffd on the pauns tag!

I've hunted it the last 3 out of 5 years on the archery hunt. I killed a 140" buck last year out of a tree stand. Fairly easy to shoot a small buck from road hunting. Bigger bucks will be up top by the towers. I've found that if u wait towards the last week the bigger bucks up high will be pushed down in easier country to hunt. Good luck!

• Like 1