Sign in to follow this  
1denogean

Training dogs tricks

Hello all we just added a Queensland heeler to the family, shes 12 weeks old now and probly the best dog i ever had. Goes everywhere with and listens great. I wanna teach her new tricks she sits, shakes, stays, and lays down very good now. Any suggestions or methods on new tricks? I know alot of coues members have these kind of dogs and they are super great I've been putting so much time in her with the family I know shes gonna turn out great

Thanks and God bless

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Ziva, our red doberman puppy, 5months old, can chew so well, I'm thinking of hiring her out as "test-chewer" for these "Bullet-proof" "indestructable" Dog bed sellers, Band-Aids etc...

Prob NOT a "trick" you'd want to train for though hahaha

post-1378-0-71253700-1499707236.jpg

One of the favorite tricks I taught our lab was the fall over dead when shot. It is a progressive teaching trick.

Lay down

roll over

Roll half way over

Do it when triggered and not commanded.

Surprising how easily and quickly she learned it.

• Like 1

One useful command to teach is to get behind you. Say you are walking a trail and you see a bear in front of you or a snake or something and you want your dog to get to a safe place, you can tell them to get behind you.

teaching to find antlers of course would be a great idea. I actually encourage our dogs to find more than antlers because I like skulls of different wildlife, so whenever my dog brings any kind of bone back to me, I give her tons of encouragement and tell her how proud I am. That makes her want to keep doing it, so she brings me a lot of interesting things. My previous dog Julie did the same after the same type of training. Bobcat skulls, fox skulls, bear skulls, deer legs, deer skulls with antlers, antlers, etc have all been brought to me by my dogs.

One trick I taught my new dog Maggie is to crawl. I never taught a dog that before, but she learned it on like the 3rd try....amazing! And everyone loves to watch her do her trick! One tip I learned by talking to trainers and reading online is to use "high value treats" (meaning things they go crazy for....cooked chicken or steak or hotdogs or cheese or whatever works for your dog). And I also use "jackpotting" which just means to give them alot of the high value treat when they do something really great. That helps reinforce that they are getting things right.

• Like 2

My friend inherited a Lab when his buddy past away in a car accident with his girlfriend in California back in about 1988 That was one of the smartest dog I have ever seen. Bob would just get his attention and move his fingers and Gunner would get down and crawl. He was close to 100 pounds with huge head, didn't like other male dogs and munched a few Pitts and a GSD when he lived in Laveen. Other than that he was an excellent dog, loved to fetch to the point it got annoying. He had more personality than most people and when my daughter was in 4th grade she took him to school for Show and Tell. Bob thinks Tom got him from Kellogg Kennels because he would point. He would also run from bush to bush when hunting up quail and when he had to poop he had a strange habit of backing up into a bush to do his business.

He was one heck of a dog though, never be another one like him.

• Like 1

You could always teach her to count. It is a slight hand movement that stops them from barking when they hit the number. My mother in law had a dog that was really good at it. People actually thought it could count.

I lived in a rattlesnake infested property and my Heeler knows they are bad news.

Now whenever I'm out and about, especially at night, I make a hissing noise and he hunts for them in the path before me, and he has alerted to many I was unaware of.

I've learned that when shed hunting he will sit down beside an antler and wait.

Now if only I could use the predator call with out him attacking me.