WhtMtnHunter

2018 Bison changes

So the new hunt recommendations came out for 2018 spring hunts and they made some significant changes to the 12A bison hunts. Now there is an early hunt with 25 tags that starts on April 13 and runs until June 3(6 weeks instead of 5 months). It's for Bull bison only. The following June/July hunts are 2 weekends with 12 tags each and also for Bull bison only. What is the reasoning to going to bull only if they are trying to reduce the herd size? Which hunt typically has the best success--the early hunt with 25 tags and a longer season(only 6 weeks now), or the June hunts when it might be drier but there are 12 tags for just 10 days? No Raymond Ranch hunts?

Recommendations can be downloaded here https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-portal-wordpress/azgfd.wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/21140913/AZ-2018-Spring-Big-Game-Hunt-Recommendations-7-21-2018.pdf

First off, theyre not going to kill all the bulls, so their will still be babies. And if they're not killing any cows then that means their will be more babies.

You can have 300 bulls and 1 cow and only get one baby, but 300 cows and 1 bull and have a ton of babies.

Arent they trying to get rid of the bison on the park? What's the deal with that? I like seeing them up there.

And why no tags on raymond?

The last few seasons they have designed the hunts for the Raymond herd to exterminate it so that they can bring in a genetically pure herd from Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota. And, contrary to what the article in the link below seems to suggest, the plan is for hunting on Raymond to resume at some point in the future. See the attached article:

https://www.arizonahighways.com/blog/agreement-will-establish-protected-bison-herd-arizona

Interesting, that article helped with a few questions. What makes them an unsuccessful breed? Besides the fact they smell like cows, they just stare at you like cows, and practically do everythig the same as cows.

My guess is they have something up their sleeve for culling cows and yearlings on the park and therefore are making the off park hunts bull only. That July bull hunt is gonna be a stomper! Burn your points now fellas!!!!

• Like 1

Judging by how many people in the last topic of discussion on bison hunting said never in a million years would they put in, your chances should be good.

So from what I can gather though a couple of phone calls...the park service is planning to start culling the cows and calves in the spring. The idea behind going to bull only is that once the culling starts inside the park they hope the cows will quickly wise up and start to leave, and they don't want hunters sitting on the boundary shooting at them and pushing them back in. I also heard that they may allow hunters in the park to assist in the culling and that each hunter may be allowed to shoot up to 3 cows and/or calves(in particular) and may be allowed to keep 1. However it's a long time between now and then and I am sure things will change. Maybe someone else who has more inside information will chime in. I'm very leary about cashing in my points but also don't want to wait much longer if they really start to knock the herd down.

Thanks for the info brother. I have been wondering about that cause i am in the 30 point bunch as well. I just want a drama free hunt.

• Like 2

Who knows what the hunts will be like this year based on the AZcentral article.

I will have to think for a while if I will put in or not.