Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Trekking Poles

i got a set from REI carbon fiber their brand, they sit in my pack until i feel i need them usually on steep climbs or descents and with a weighted pack

Saw some at Costco a couple months ago. Not sure if they still have them. Price seemed pretty good too.

Easton has a great set of carbon fiber options w "Rok Lok". I heard they went out of business though. I would stick w carbon fiber, a good locking mechanism and stay away from rubber grips as they make your hands sweat too much.

Another vote for the Easton carbon fiber poles. Hope they didnt go out of business - gave my set to my old man last season and was planning to repurchase. They were super light, and came in very handy. One of those "don't always need them, but glad I have them when I do" items. Especially if you are coming out heavy.

I use a set of aluminum trekking poles. Old Black Diamond ones. I have had them for probably 18-20 years. Still going strong. Scarred to heck, but never bent or broke one. Shock absorbing too.

On my goat hunt last year they saved me a broken leg. I bent one pole pretty bad, I don't always use them but when I'm planning on extended heavy backpack trips they are worth their weight. I have a pair of black diamond.

I use black diamond carbon fiber with locking system like tripod legs. I have used a few others over the years. They have really saved my knees. Wish I would have started using them in my 20s.

I have a pair similar to Lance's. Love them. Aluminum with the shock absorption. Not sure I would want to use a carbon fiber pole as I mine a scratched all over from bushwhacking. Finally had one go out on me last year on my hunt in 32. The mountain gave way under my feet coming down hill and the pole bent, but likely saved me from snapping my ankle.

Lekki. Just make sure if you get the colapsible ones that you get the ones that don't have the locking mechanism at every segment. Those things will catch on everything if you are moving thru brush. P.i.t.a.

I always thought they seemed kind of stupid. But with my knee and ankle issues (I'm one good ankle role away from my 9th surgical proceedure), finally decided to give them a go a couple of years ago to see if I could get a little additional support. I kick myself now for not getting some sooner. I sincerely believe they may be one of the most important pieces of gear I own. I feel comfortable moving through rough terrain at twice the pace I would without them, and feel so much more stable, especially if I have a load on my back. One my son's deer hunt last year we had to move at a near jogging pace to get to a deer before he disappeared. We had to side hill in loose rock hidden in tall grass. Never would have happened without the poles.

These are the ones I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Trail-Trekking-Poles/dp/B001V7YX8G