hempland

37b general areas my wife's first hunt

I am looking for some help with general areas to start with in unit 37b. Not familiar with the unit and will be taking my wife on her first hunt. Any help would be appreciated.

Your pretty close to Florence -Kelvin Hwy give that a look. Always see them passing through there.

• Like 1

the game and fish website gives multiple good starting areas, you can find a specific area from there.. its not a difficult unit to find a place - plenty of country.

• Like 1

I would suggest going for a drive through the unit. Take the Florence Kelvin Hwy to the Barkerville road. Turn right on the Barkerville road and follow it to Dudleyville. You have to ford the San Pedro to get to Hwy 77 but it is generally not bad, I do it in a semi tractor. Look at a map before you go so you know you can find one of the fords. Take 77 then 177 north about 20 miles, through Kearny, and look for a left turn by a railroad crossing. This is the other end of the Florence kelvin Highway. Take it back to Florence. This loop will give you a good overlook of the unit. The variety of terrain and vegetation. Watch for deer and look for an area that looks interesting to you. Plenty of good spots to choose from. I have seen deer all over the unit.

• Like 2

As 300rum suggested just take a drive! Im from gilbert too and it takes me 1 hour and 25 mins to get to Black Mountain and that is central of the unit. Its a big unit and low numbers of mule deer. But every time I go out quail hunting I see a buck on the way in or out.

Is the Kelvin hwy paved?

Yes

Partly paved. But it is a 'highway', so the dirt part is easily passable. A little wash-boardy here and there.....

S.

300rum I will try that drive and see what's there. Thank you

Great info here! Good luck my friend. Can't wait to hear the story and how it went with your wife.

• Like 1

Like Hunting west of Kearny, they had some fires in there, there will be new growth for the deers to feed.

Good area to start scouting.

• Like 1