AZBull

Rebarreling a rifle

I have a Winchester Model 70 post 64 that I want to put a new barrel on. Its chambered in 300 win mag. I talked to a couple gunsmiths that want to charge over $1000 and do all the fancy blueprinting/truing stuff at the same time. My question is it really worth it? My rifle was shooting sub moa as is.

The reason I want to rebarrel is because I believe it has been shot out. Ive put over 1500 rounds through it and its starting to get larger groups. I also would like to get a heavier barrel so I can throw my suppressor on it. Does anyone know of any gunsmiths that would be willing to just put another barrel on it without the truing? Or if the blueprinting is necessary who should I go with? Im in the Tucson area and willing to travel or ship the rifle. Thanks

Better to go ahead and true everything up while they have it apart.

Plus new recoil lug, bed the stock, time and chamber the barrel, crown, etc.

Too bad the gunsmith that built my .25-06AI isn't around any more. He would spin a new barrel on without truing the receiver for you....of course, you would still have to PAY for him to true it, he just would not do the work.

Without truing the action, you would save about $250-350. But it does help.

• Like 3

Better to go ahead and true everything up while they have it apart.

Plus new recoil lug, bed the stock, time and chamber the barrel, crown, etc.

Too bad the gunsmith that built my .25-06AI isn't around any more. He would spin a new barrel on without truing the receiver for you....of course, you would still have to PAY for him to true it, he just would not do the work.

Without truing the action, you would save about $250-350. But it does help.

did he leave parts missing and broken on your gun like the guys who did Mine? Lol.

Just the charging for work he did not perform. No missing or broken parts (that I knew of at the time). My first "custom" rifle.

Is 1500 rounds an expected barrel life from a sporter weight barrel in 300wm? Maybe it is just fouled up and needs a good scrubbing with something that will remove the copper?

If it really is shot out then I would give the folks at Pac-Nor a call. I've had two of their barrels that shot great. AND- I sent them a M70 and for the price of the barrel, truing the action and chambering/installing the barrel it was way less than your $1000+ mark. The turn around time was not fast.... but it was done right and it looks/shoots great. Mine was a 7RM that is now a .338wm.

Im not sure what the real round count is. It is more than likely over 1500 and i have no clue what the expected life should be. The barrel is extremely thin. I think I measured it out @ .550 and it gets super hot after just 3 rounds. Im willing to carry the extra few pounds for a thicker barrel and it should also help with the recoil. As far as cleaning goes I think I got it cleaned really well..at least as far as I can tell. Im not sure if my handloads had an effect on the barrel life either, Ive been running some pretty stout loads through it.

Im not sure what the real round count is. It is more than likely over 1500 and i have no clue what the expected life should be. The barrel is extremely thin. I think I measured it out @ .550 and it gets super hot after just 3 rounds. Im willing to carry the extra few pounds for a thicker barrel and it should also help with the recoil. As far as cleaning goes I think I got it cleaned really well..at least as far as I can tell. Im not sure if my handloads had an effect on the barrel life either, Ive been running some pretty stout loads through it.

There are lots of variables in barrel life. One is heat, the hotter you run it the shorter its life. Take a little extra time and let it cool between every shot.

1500 rounds for a magnum barrel running around 3000 FPS sounds about right. I would get the action and bolt faced trued while it was apart it it would be crazy not to and a new ground recoil lug is super cheap. Yes you could get away with not truing it but its like ripping apart your engine and not taking care of the common problems while in there. And if your going to get a barrel with a larger diameter. Youll need to sand out he channel and while your doing that its time to pillar bed it. My barrel vote is for Bartline they are the best.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Ill be saving up a couple hundred more dollars and get it done right.

Some M 70s (New Haven CT)wont need to be trued, a good smith will tell you if the rifle must be trued or not. I had Phoenix Custom Rifles re-barrel my M 70 and it shot cheap factory ammo really good, some better then others. Smallest group .383 largest .89 he told me the action was 99.9999% straight and all it needed was a new barrel. He did square up the face of the receiver to the action. My hand loads for Barnes LRX averged .4, and that isnt a target bullet using hornady brass (not good). He also did a trigger job on the rifle and it was the nicest M 70 trigger Ive touched. I did sell the rifle to build a lighter wieght pack gun.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/76380-spf-custom-m-70-for-sale-270-win

I will deal this guy for sure. Ive had a few friends get their rifles worked on by him...as long as he will take up my project. As far as sanding the barrel channel I think that should be easy...its free floated like you wouldnt believe. I literally think I have a featherweight barrel for a 223 instead of a 300...and the barrel is marked new haven, ct. when it comes to shooting I always let it cool down between shots. I did shoot three shots in under a minute when I was shooting at steel and thats when I realized how hot she really got

I have a good gunsmith in mesa that worked for McMillian for over a decade. Just got my rifle back on Sunday and work was awesome. He does work out of his garage now and doesn't charge an arm and a led but does great work! He trued and blue printed, put new sendero barrel on, threaded and put a muzzle break on, bedded it in a new stock, and put on and adjusted new trigger, and cut and threaded my bolt arm for new knob for under $1000

I'll post some pics up later when i get a chance.

You don't need to true that action and it has the recoil lug built in so you don't need a custom lug. I've done hundreds of rebarrels for my firearms and others. A custom barrel will make an improvement. I recommend Krieger. Send the barreled action to Krieger and have them spin a new barrel on. Another place to try is Gre-Tan gunsmithing in Colorado. Greg does an awesome job on just about any brand of firearm. His number is 970-878-5421.

• Like 1