Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Keying padlocks

Got to many different locks and keys. Like to make them all the same or can you only do this if you order a bunch at the same time?

Use combo locks instead

^^^ this option is much cheaper

If you go to Ace they can order as many Master locks of the same key as you want. And then you can go back years later and order the same key locks.

By the same logic could you also order more of the same key locks for a lock you already own? That might make sense.

Back to the original question I've never heard of re-keying a padlock...not sure it's possible. I suppose you could call a locksmith and find out.

By the same logic could you also order more of the same key locks for a lock you already own? That might make sense.

Back to the original question I've never heard of re-keying a padlock...not sure it's possible. I suppose you could call a locksmith and find out.

I imagine it would cost more to re-key than to just but new locks.

• Like 1

Usually if it is only one of Master Locks commercial locks. Many construction companies will buy lots of 25-100 locks all keyed the same for locking up gang boxes or chaining ladders.

Combo locks then you dont have to worry about losing the key/keys ... My .02

Just have to worry about forgetting the combo...
  • Like 1

The larger padlocks can be rekeyed. They have to be bought that way. We have Schlage Cylinders in ours. Pinned to 4 different key cuts. Just order a case of long throated master locks that can lock trailer tongues and such and call it good. Keep extra in your truck with your bolt cutters just in case someone has an illegally locked gate you want to add your lock to. :)

The larger padlocks can be rekeyed. They have to be bought that way. We have Schlage Cylinders in ours. Pinned to 4 different key cuts. Just order a case of long throated master locks that can lock trailer tongues and such and call it good. Keep extra in your truck with your bolt cutters just in case someone has an illegally locked gate you want to add your lock to. :)

Bolt cutters = Kevs keys to the city

Truth be told that was actually why (at least one of the reasons) I wanted a large amount of them.