mfernaz

From field to the kitchen!

Wasn't able to get out opening day due to work and the family, finally got out yesterday. It was a very disappointing start, cold, super windy, glassing wasn't panning anything out. Made some coffee to keep me comfortable as I watched this canyon with good traffic and sign, but no Javelina to be found. Right before the storm came in, started walking out and ran into another hunter in the wash and we walked out together. We were chit chatting with the wind in our face and literally 7 yards from us in the thick, 2 Javelina took off. We ran after and watched to see if they would go up the canyon, but they disappeared. We continued walking out and about another 100 yards or so we spotted a heard of about 15 feeding straight towards us about 3/4 of the way up this steep canyon. We both picked a Javelina and 1, 2, we have Javelina down... Got back to his jeep and started dressing, half way into mine it started raining, made for a long coulpe hours. Got home about 9pm and hung the hog in the garage. Long day of cutting, grinding, and chorizo making today. It came out great!

post-14082-0-46017100-1519876256_thumb.jpg

post-14082-0-48255100-1519876312_thumb.jpeg

post-14082-0-64371900-1519876342_thumb.jpeg

post-14082-0-54462200-1519877041_thumb.jpg

post-14082-0-08790200-1519877059_thumb.jpg

post-14082-0-62593900-1519877264_thumb.jpg

post-14082-0-63567900-1519877294_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Nice! I love it. Way to make the best of this hunt. My oldest and I doubled up, but not before a lot of hard hunting turning up nothing.

• Like 1

Very cool, you know if you grew a big mustache the two of you could pass for father/son.

Lol, it's starting to sprout!

• Like 1

I just like seeing guys take stuff all the way through to table. Especially with these little guys. Helps break the false narrative attached to the meat. We do a Javelina Jalapeno sausage that is the best of the year every year. We call it the "Double soft J sausage".

• Like 1

I just like seeing guys take stuff all the way through to table. Especially with these little guys. Helps break the false narrative attached to the meat. We do a Javelina Jalapeno sausage that is the best of the year every year. We call it the "Double soft J sausage".

Can I get the recipe for that? It sounds good.
  • Like 1

I have an rib rack that I'm going to smoke up this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out!!!

Can I get the recipe for that? It sounds good.

I will take a photo when I get back on my feet and get it to you. It is something we've developed over the last 10 years, so it is hand written.

• Like 1

I have an rib rack that I'm going to smoke up this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out!!!

Very cool. Never tried that. Do some photos if you could. Are you going brine or anything first to try and lock moisture? I would bacon wrap for protection too.

• Like 1