Jay Scott

Sportsmans Input Sought by ConserveandProtectAZ.org-Unit wide Raffle and Auction Tags

How many of you on here with all these questions are going to attend the ADA meeting tomorrow evening, to ask your questions and voice your concerns in person? Ringer? WhtMtnHunter? OpticNerd? AzDirtyTaco? GreyGhost85? BoneCollector? Idgaf?

I find the irony that the working class has the most questions with this initiative and ironically they have to work so they will not have time to ask the questions you keep evolving the answers on. (this feels like the Greek battle of Marathon)My home is three hours from the valley, I will spend 10 hours at work and the three hours traveling, I will not be at my freshest intellectually or aesthetically and I will very likely be walking into a good ole boy gentlemen club hostile environment. COUNT ME IN! I want honest non spin-able answers. If you have a question that you would like asked, IM me and I will do my best to present it. Where and when?

• Like 1

Doesn't pass the smell test to me at this point. Seems like they are just trying to take advantage of the recent lion initiative as a scare tactic to get what they want(more auction and raffle tags). Nothing about this seems like it mandates that it can ONLY be funded by taking tags away and giving them to auctions and raffles. Why not go about raising funds in some different ways? They know all the average joe Arizona sportsmen are against reallocating tags away from the general draw but are trying to do it anyway.

• Like 2

Doesn't pass the smell test to me at this point. Seems like they are just trying to take advantage of the recent lion initiative as a scare tactic to get what they want(more auction and raffle tags). Nothing about this seems like it mandates that it can ONLY be funded by taking tags away and giving them to auctions and raffles. Why not go about raising funds in some different ways? They know all the average joe Arizona sportsmen are against reallocating tags away from the general draw but are trying to do it anyway.

Agreed

however the average sportsman are only against auction tags, if it was raffled tags alot would sell there mother to better there chances at a tag.

pete and his merry men know this also. your going to see alot of fast talking bs as usual.

I'm predicting its going to pass but they will use a raffle, then after a few years or sooner they will claim they aint making enough for education and switch to auction tags.

Most guides wont be against this there going to push for it because it benifits them and they dont want to look at gift horses mouth if it pass's.

Stan- Nummie and I are going to listen and keep an open mind then vote NO! IDGAF, don't worry about the gentlemen's club environment. There will be more of us crude, rude old men there to balance it out. See you there.

• Like 2

I will try and answer the question to the best of my knowledge.....I someone finds differently please post it....

I was told this morning that there are two groups......One is conserve and protect and the other one is conserve and Protect Arizona.

I dont know what the difference is !!!!

The one that is proposing this will take the funds generated and give all 100% of the monies raised to the department. Something similar to the HPC model this money would be used to educate the public on the importance of the dept Ect.....there would be a board of individuals much like the HPC board that would with the department decide how to best spend the money

The other group is on their own to raise money to do the other work that needs to be done....Apparently through banquet, non tag raffles private donations and monies donated by the current wildlife organizations Ect....

Can someone PLEASE attend a meeting or make a call and see what they can find out...

What you are describing is not similar to the HPC.

There is no HPC board of individuals, there are local committees. AZGFD approves all funding proposals.

This is a blatant attempt to piggyback off a successful and popular program.

Who is feeding you this info and staying behind the scenes?

Let me given you some advice, last time I was point man in 2012, my phone bill was 300 bucks from all the org leaders and others that wanted give me info to put out publicly.. you need to vet any info you relay as it's on you if it's wrong... don't let someone feed you soundbites and then sit back anonymous to see how it plays.

Kent

• Like 1

Krp ... not sure where your getting your info....For the last several yrs I personally have sat in a room at the Department and helped decide where and what projects get funded along with a member of every wildlife organization that put money into the HPC fund...No one is feeding me info...If I have a question I call someone who I think can answer the questions....

If you feel otherwise please feel free to call me...Dave 602-228-1719

Or if you truly want to see how the process works the next time the funds are distributed you can join me at the meeting and see it in person...

I also believe that a representative from the department that works directly with the HPC program will be at tonights ADA meeting. It would be an opportunity to ask the department directly how and who decides what projects are funded....I will try and get clarification that they will be on site

• Like 1

I get my info from the azgfd website and reading the minutes of previous meetings.

You said board of individuals. Are you a member of the hoc board of individuals?

Or a representative of an org running a local committee?

Kent

Sorry for any misspelling as I'm on my phone working out of town.

Hoc not hoc.

First thing I'd ask the g&f rep is can Pittman Robinson money be used as it's earmarked for hunter/prospective hunter education.

I am in the process of putting together some notes and a list of questions to take to tonight's meeting. As I'm pretty sure several of you are doing the same, would any you be interested in working together on a combined list to help us with a more organized approach? We can share our list with everyone and all involved would still present their line of questions.

PM me please if you are in.

Stan- Nummie and I are going to listen and keep an open mind then vote NO! IDGAF, don't worry about the gentlemen's club environment. There will be more of us crude, rude old men there to balance it out. See you there.

Yup, I'll see you there. I'm definitely in the 'old men' club too (my daughter would argue for crude/rude also....)! :lol: Look for the skinny balding/gray dude in jeans and navy golf shirt. ;)

Kent...I am not on the HPC board/committee although I attend the meetings on a regular basis ...I am acting as a representative of the Arizona Deer Association as we have placed monies into the HPC fund I along with a representative of every wildlife organization that has also placed funds into the account have a place at the table and we as a group along with representatives from the department decide how and where the monies are spent. There is a tremendous amount of information on the process far to much for me to type. If you like call me I would be happy to explain in detail has the process/ system works....

I gather my info from individuals I trust to provide me with the correct information and from over 25 yrs dealing with the local wildlife organizations and the department. Is my information always correct not at all. But I have no issues admitting that I don’t know it all. I try and provide information for others in order to help them make informed decisions. I would always recommend that someone go straight to the source many of these questions could be answered by calling the department directly... I have done nothing more then state my understanding of the concept and how it might work....I do not speak on behalf of the Arizona Deer Association

....My posts and thoughts are mine and mine alone.I take full responsibility if my answers are incorrect......But if that is the case I will always try and find the correct information.....As I have said many times I don’t care where the monies come from....SOMEONE needs to find it we as sportsman have many battles on the horizon and they won’t be cheep to fight....

• Like 1

Kent I do have a question for you....You stated you were very involved in the 2012 debacle.....If so what happened to the group that was formed to prevent this type of effort from ever happening again....If memory serves me correct the group was also going to look into ways to do exactly what this group is attempting to do....Find funds to do the things that need to be done...and do them in such a manner that the average sportsman was not taken advantage of.... In looking through the many many pages of post from then a very large number of participants from then are the same participants now....What happened to the group that was out to change the world....

I ask this with all sincerity....If once again the sportsman of this state turn this attempt back....What then ?....Do you all just walk away till next time ? where will the funds come from next time One of the 27 known anti hunting groups come after your ability to hunt....Will it be left to ?.....will you leave it to the department......The same department that most of you believe is the most corrupt agency in the state....The same agency that up until this yr could not even correctly run the draw process....The same agency that has done little to nothing to this point....I am asking because I don’t know the answers myself...

• Like 1

I already understand the hpc process and if I wished to bring a proposal I could, but not to a board of individuals.

Though I was invited to meetings and attended I was never a part of the constituency group, as far as I know they still exist and your description of their policies isn't correct and I dont remember them looking to create funds, they are a watchdog group against those wanting to screw the average hunter. You need to ask Allen Taylor, been a few years since I saw him at a g&f meeting. They might be looking into this fight now.

There's be a bunch of misinformation in this thread, I can't go back and address it all again on my phone out of town.

Kent