Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Mr. Heather Big Buddy Propane Heater

Would this be a good and safe heather for a Kodiak Tent 10ft x 14ft?

Any input would be appreciated...

I have the Big Buddy heater that I run in my 10x14 flexbow. Warms it up really quick. I have the attachment and hose to hook it up to a big propane tank outside. I do not run it while we are sleeping, but it is great to warm you up at night before getting into bed and when you get up in the morning. It does have an oxygen sensor if you want to run it at night, but I don't think I would risk my family's life on that sensor. If I ever did decide to run it while we were asleep, I would have the tent well ventilated with a back up oxygen sensor in the tent at head level.

• Like 2

I have the big buddy heater and use it in my 10x14 Springbar canvas tent. Works Awesome! You definitely want to unzip one of the windows a little bit so condensation doesn’t build up. Contemplated doing a wood stove but the portable ones work great!

• Like 1

I use it with my kodiak. If inhave to run all night i just crack the windows a bit. Been using for years

• Like 1

I have the Big Buddy heater that I run in my 10x14 flexbow. Warms it up really quick. I have the attachment and hose to hook it up to a big propane tank outside. I do not run it while we are asleep, but it is great to warm you up at night before getting into bed and when you get up in the morning. It does have an oxygen sensor if you want to run it at night, but I don't think I would risk my family's life on that sensor. If I ever did decide to run it while we were asleep, I would have the tent well ventilated with a back up oxygen sensor in the tent at head level.

rossislider is right on. I have the same set-up. Works great! :)

TJ

• Like 1

Ran a Mr. Heater in a 10x14 Kodiak this past weekend at the junior turkey camp in Unit 1. It was my first time using it. I also ran a long hose with an external tank. I was paranoid about killing all of us, so I took a portable carbon monoxide detector and kept the windows a lot more open than was probably necessary. As was mentioned, it has an O2 sensor, but you can have plenty of oxygen in the air and still have a dangerous amount of CO in the area.

I left it on low while we slept. Because I had the windows cracked so much it was still a bit chilly in the tent, but it definitely took the edge off. When we woke up I just closed up most of the windows and cranked it up to high while we dressed. We had high winds most of the time and snow on Friday night. The heater melted the snow off of most of the roof. The kids had heavy bags, but said they were totally comfortable all night.

Mr. Heater doesn't recommend using the devices at elevations over 7k feet because the O2 sensor might cause it not to work at higher altitudes, but we were at about 9k feet and it worked just fine.

Next time I want to get a small battery operated fan and hang it in one corner of the tent to see if it will circulate the warm air a little better.

• Like 3

I use mine in a toy hauler. Best purchase ever. Put a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm by your sleeping area and allow some fresh air in.

• Like 1

I bought a new one in the box at Goodwill. Must have set me back $15.00, but I have managed to recover financially.

• Like 3

I bought a new one in the box at Goodwill. Must have set me back $15.00, but I have managed to recover financially.

I'll give $20 for it then you can prosper!

• Like 2

So now theyre Mr. Heathers? Even out camping crap is turning into freaks!

Mr. Heather will keep you warm.😄

• Like 1

My friend put one in my Kodiak and preheated it on our deer hunt with the doors and windows closed. Went in and went to sleep, I think he's lucky he woke up. He said he woke up with a horrible headache, and felt like heck. No, not hungover either. He did not vent the tent, he knew better before, and definately does now. Make sure you have fresh air intake! But they will warm the Kodiaks up quick!

• Like 1

My furnace went out in the house this winter and we used 2 buddy heaters. I'd maybe opt for 2 buddy heaters one on each side. Plus you can take them fishing!

• Like 2

I'll give $20 for it then you can prosper!

I've traveled a lot abroad and seemed like $20 is always the going rate for a Heather.
  • Like 1