40-year-AZ-hunter

Conserve and Protect (Tags) Presentation at G&F Mtg

Interesting stuff on this page....

https://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-expo-permits-faq.html#q4

Q22: Why was SFW awarded the expo permit contract when RMEF offered to give a higher percentage of revenue back to Utah for conservation?

The RMEF proposal scored very highly on its commitment to return revenue to the DWR for wildlife conservation in Utah. Its score in that category was much higher than SFW’s score. However, the State Purchasing committee was not evaluating the proposals on just that category. Committee members had to examine all of the details submitted for each of the evaluation categories. SFW’s proposal contained much more detail in the business plan and data-security categories. Only the SFW proposal provided sufficient detail in explaining how the organization planned to secure customers’ identities and credit card information.

Regardless of what type of system may happen here....Raffle tags ....Auction tags or a combination of both....If any tags are even involved with the final decision..... What has been said in both the pod cast and meetings is that 100% of all funds raised will go back to the game and fish department.....If that is the case why is the Utah model (which by the way is a travesty)...being used as a comparison...

• Like 3

I am off to celebrate mothers day. I'll do some more digging later......

Regardless of what type of system may happen here....Raffle tags ....Auction tags or a combination of both....If any tags are even involved with the final decision..... What has been said in both the pod cast and meetings is that 100% of all funds raised will go back to the game and fish department.....If that is the case why is the Utah model (which by the way is a travesty)...being used as a comparison...

1. Because what was said on the podcast was far far from a written proposal.

2. During the podcast Pete references UT system as a model that can be replicated (as do others).

3. Because what Don Peay and his crowd (which Pete also references as a model) is not what UT ended up with.

• Like 2

Is the issue with the Utah model the fact that only 70% ? Of the monies raised goes back to conservation....In brushing through the hundreds of pages of post about the subject on MM the majority of post have issues with the fact that not all the monies go to conservative and most all were ok with RMEF getting the contract because they were going to give back 100% of the monies. If that is the fact then if all the monies raised here by whatever the end concept is go back to the department then what is the issue....I am not in favor of using tags I believe there are other funding sources that can be used...But the Utah model keeps coming up and the big issue with it apparently is the less then 100% going to the department.....That apparently will not be the issue here ?.... For all the uproar over the Utah expo a very large number of people attended it every year..If attendance is any indication that the hunters in Utah are dissatisfied with the program then numbers would indicate that most aren’t....

• Like 2

People attend the banquet in hopes of getting a tag back that was stolen from them. Doesnt mean they agree with it.

• Like 3

If you have an interest in wildlife and hunting here in Arizona in the future, might be a good idea to make time to attend the next G&F meeting the first week of June!!!

And make yourself heard beforehand (don't wait until the last minute) via emails to the G&F commissioners the next couple weeks (concerning both the money raising/tag issue as well as the proposed game camera restrictions) ...

Brian. Which "WE" group do you represent and are the spokes person to make the statement. We do not want tags for auctions or raffles.

Brian. Which "WE" group do you represent and are the spokes person to make the statement. We do not want tags for auctions or raffles.

He represents me and people like me that do not have an affiliation. The average hunter that would rather hunt, talk hunting and keep permit system although not perfect the way it is.

• Like 4

Ok. I agree.100 % Sometimes hard to keep up without reading everything . My mistake!.

I will continue to shout long and hard !

NO TAGS ! BRAIN YOU SPEAK FOR ME TOO!

• Like 1

This morning I printed the CAPAZ handout from the link in the OP and went over it. Here are some problems I see. Did I miss Anything?

Page 1 Paragraph 2
Legislation be developed and put in statue to insure the program is permanent…

They intend to attempt to glue this thing in place.

Page 1 Paragraph 4
Application and license fees for these permits should be set at a level lower than the current application and license fees set for the regular AZGFD permit lottery.

Why is the application and license fee for these tags to be lower then what an applicant in the normal lottery pays?

Page 1 Paragraph 5
Taking permits from existing AZGFD recommended permits should not support the program. Instead, additional permits should be added to support the program; and these permits should not have a biological consequence to the resource.

The number of tags in the state lottery is based on what biologists have estimated the heard can withstand without being over hunted. The proposed tags would be added above biologists recommendations. If you add tags you are going to harvest more animals. More dead animals is a “biological consequence to the resource”. Will increased harvests lead to reduced tag numbers in the future?

Page 1 Paragraph 6
…regular established seasons like those in the hunt regulations or slightly enhanced for promotion.

Which one to you think they will push for? What do they consider “slightly enhanced”? An enhanced season has the probability of increased harvest success and again a reduced heard.

Page 1 Paragraph 7 & Page 3 Paragraph 6
These options should be in the form of a lottery, not by creating additional auction permits.
Auction permits could be sold…

They can’t even make it 3 pages without contradicting themselves.

Page 2 Paragraph 3
…the number will be far less than 1% of the total number of permits AZGFD and Commission currently authorizes…

Do you think they are just going to ask for average tags? No, they will want the best tags, ones the average hunter waits many years or even a lifetime to draw.

Page 3 paragraph 3
…and reduce competition for the Special Commissioners tags.

The Special Commissioners tags are sold at auction and bring a high price. Reducing competition for them will lower their sale price.

• Like 1

How many total tags do you think there are for elk, deer, sheep, buffalo, antelope, turkey ???? Oh and bear

How many total tags do you think there are for elk, deer, sheep, buffalo, antelope, turkey ???? Oh and bear

less than 1% according to handout. So lets say .5%. that means about 500 elk tags, 1000 dear tags, 20 antelope tags, etc (let me know if my math is wrong)