Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Reminder: Trail cam meeting/webcast tonight at main G&F office

Range it, mark it on a gps and beat feat until your 440 yds.

How you know where every tank is? You're gonna set a cam then walk in a quarter mile circle?

Just dont put them on water. Seems easy enough.

And double check that you're a 1/4 mile from a water source?
I just take a survey transit and shoot a line. Calculate the land lay and set my cam. Most quarter miles are more like 300 feet. The rule doesnt specify land lay or as the crow flys.

300 feet is a quarter of a quarter mile.

at least !/4 mile from any developed water source is a big issue.

I can be more receptive to the idea if

1) the dept creates a catalogue of water holes to which the rule is applicable.

2) I'd prefer the distance was reduced to 200 or 300 yards. I could put a cam 200 yards from a water source that won't ever see another hunter.

I still haven't heard a case for it being in contrast to principles of fair chase

Range it, mark it on a gps and beat feat until your 440 yds.

How you know where every tank is? You're gonna set a cam then walk in a quarter mile circle?

I probably zig zag about a mile before I ever commit to a spot. Im also cheap and dont buy lock boxes so I have never put a camera on a water hole.

• Like 1

I just take a survey transit and shoot a line. Calculate the land lay and set my cam. Most quarter miles are more like 300 feet. The rule doesnt specify land lay or as the crow flys.
but how is it measured? Walking steps or a straight line? What if the water source is in a hilly area?

but how is it measured? Walking steps or a straight line? What if the water source is in a hilly area?
You go ahead and explain that to azgfd that you put it 300 feet because you're a surveyor. Let me know how that goes

You go ahead and explain that to azgfd that you put it 300 feet because you're a surveyor. Let me know how that goes
I dont run cams on public water as it is. But I think its a good point, how do they measure? And Im not a surveyor. I just stayed at a holiday inn express last night!
  • Like 2

Well if YOU don't do it, what does it matter if they take it away from everyone else that does. If it doesn't affect me who cares. am I doing it right?

Well if YOU don't do it, what does it matter if they take it away from everyone else that does. If it doesn't affect me who cares. am I doing it right?

Thats how I feel

Thats how I feel
You're a communist too

Thats how I feel
You're a communist too

Get over it

Hmmm. Does this come about from a new way of calculating distance or more of your simple sarcasm???

In all the schools I attended, a mile was deemed to be 5,280 ft. Thus a 1/4 mile is 1,320 ft. or 440 yds.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Does this come about from a new way of calculating distance or more of your simple sarcasm???

In all the schools I attended, a mile was deemed to be 5,280 ft. Thus a 1/4 mile is 1,320 ft. or 440 yds.

That's what I said. 100 yards = a quarter of a quarter of a mile