Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Reminder: Trail cam meeting/webcast tonight at main G&F office

6 p.m. tonight (Tues., May 29). Main topic: use of trail cams within 1/4 mile of established water ...

https://www.azgfd.com/trail-camera-rule-change-subject-of-webcast-may-29/

Thanks for the reminder. You can submit your comments/questions online during the live broadcast. If enough people comment during the webinar, the Dept will have to come to the commission meeting on June 8 with options. Options such as restricting the ban to the units where they perceive there is a big problem with trail cameras. Or limiting the ban to apply only to certain species. What I wonder is if I happen to get a photo of a buck one year and then get a tag a couple years later for that unit and kill that buck...will that be illegal since you can't use a trail camera to take animal? That seems ridiculous. If only a handful of units in the state are having problems why doesn't the Dept just solve the problem in those units without having a blanket ban across the state?

I recommend you guys tune into the meeting and send in your comments. If you have questions for the panel, please send them to questions@azgfd.gov

• Like 2

Everyone who has an interest needs to be on the webinar for sure...

• Like 1

BACK OFF!!! I liked that guy.

Basically it was a bunch of people against the rule coming up with unenforceable ideas to a problem that only exists in the game and fish's mind due to complaints from other hunters.

Things I learned/relearned from tonight.

1. There is no fair chase reason for this

2. Any rule I have seen thus far is not enforceable and will only cause more issues.

• Like 4

So, there are no rule/no conclusions arrived at tonight?

oops, posted and then saw addition to above post.

Good news so far as I am concerned.

If someone uses one of those live trail cams to let them know that an animal is there real time, and they go after it as a result.... Can anybody explain to me how that is fair chase? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see it

If someone uses one of those live trail cams to let them know that an animal is there real time, and they go after it as a result.... Can anybody explain to me how that is fair chase? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see it

I agree with you 100%. This is not about live cams. They have passed that already last meeting i believe.

Pulling a SD card creates a delay. They delay negates the fair chase argument.

If you have ran cameras enough, you know that getting a camera on camera and killing it in season are very different things.

• Like 2

They haven’t passed anything yet. The way to make a difference now is to email each of the commissioners with your concerns before the June 8th meeting. Then show up on Jun 8th and express your concern or support in person. There were over 200 people on the webcast tonight. If we all show up in Payson they will get the picture. They are required to allow you to speak if you fill out a card. Only 4 people spoke at the last meeting and the vote was 2-2. If 200+ show up in Payson our message will be delivered. Don’t make an excuse about work, take the day off or call in sick.

1) email each commissioner now - be respectful but express your concerns or support

Jim Ammons, Chairman jammons@azgfd.gov No Department issued cell phone, no direct line.

Jim Zieler jzieler@azgfd.gov No Department issued cell phone, no direct line.

Eric Sparks e.sparks@azgfd.gov 602-309-7311 cell phone, no direct line.

Kurt Davis k.davis@azgfd.gov No Department issued cell phone, no direct line.

Bill Bake b.brake@azgfd.gov 832-693-0572 cell phone, no direct line.

2) show up in Payson on June 8th and speak. Be respectful but be honest and make your voice heard.

• Like 6

Here is my first letter, I will be drafting another after listening to the webcast...

AZGFD Rulemaking Team,

I offer the following concerns pertaining to the Article 3 Proposed Rulemaking and specifically the proposed restrictions on the use of trail cameras under R12-4-303.

1) The proposed restrictions are an over-reaction to problem of trail camera abuses for elk and deer hunts in the northern part of the state. These abuses tend to exist in the high demand and extremely competitive premium elk and deer hunt areas in GMUs 9, 10, 12A, 12B, 13A and 13B.

2) There does not appear to be any scientific data that supports trail camera use on developed water negatively effects wildlife. There is also no data that supports cameras used away from waters negatively effects wildlife.

3) The department is underestimating the recruitment value of trail cameras for todays youth. My kids love to set and use trail cameras. Using them around water is much more effective for capturing images. I personally like to use trail cameras in 6a and unit 21 with my kids throughout the summer. I have been applying a family of youth hunters in for 6a for three years. They finally drew tags this year. If the proposed rule was in place, I would be forced to choose between using the cameras to educate my kids and being able to assist on a youth hunt. Both actions are very important to hunter recruitment. I have the exact same situation with a friend who is a new adult hunter in unit 21.

4) If a WM is using trail cameras for a research project and has their cameras on waters, they would not be allowed to hunt the unit(s) they are researching in. This seems a bit unfair to the WMs. This situation also may cause a Regional Supervisor to be put in the same predicament. Who will oversee that the department is inforcing this rule on themselves?

I do support that the department take action on trail cameras as I have seen the abuses first hand. I offer a couple of alternative ideas on to the current rule as written.

1) Have a trail camera season. Montana has a similar rule. Perhaps being able to run trail cameras from February 1st to July 31st. From August 1st to January 31st no trail cameras on develop waters could be used by a license Arizona hunter or guide. Most folks want to run trail cameras in the summer months when water usage is highest. The frequency of checking cameras is less in the summer than it is during the hunting seasons.

2) Trail camera restrictions (standard, live action and gps) only apply to cervid wildlife in the northern part of the state. It makes little sense to have a wholesale restriction on the use of trail cameras. We need all the tools available to manage predators and keep our game herds vibrant.​​​​​​​​​

Thank you for your consideration. Please contact me should you have any concerns.

Andy St. John

• Like 3

Thanks for the update fellas. Had to take my son to club baseball tryouts. I couldn't login on my phone at the field.

There was up to 217 hunters watching the webinar tonite.

Some of us have been working this trail cam issue on the sidelines but right at the target. I preached the gospel (the good news) of Trail cams to the Chairman of the Fair Chase Committee set up by AZGFD. He was very receptive and appreciated getting another point of view which helped to balance him and his committee. They give AZGFD recommendations.

This is all to compilcated and it doesn't have to be.

Game and Fish tonight was basically begging for new ideas so they could take it to the commissioners in a week.

So I sent them this tonight.

Dear Sirs:

You and we as the interested public hunters are over complicating this Trail cam issue.

As we know there are really only a few units where its a big problem.

So here is my proposal:

1. All units north of the Colorado River hunters shall remove their trail cams 48 hours before the 1st rifle deer hunts .

2. All elk units south of the Colorado River hunters shall pull cameras 48 hours before the 1st archery elk hunts.

3. Also possibly Put a Trail Camera start date of the 2nd friday in May of each year and a removal date 48 hours before the start of the North of the Colorado 1st rifle deer hunt and 48 hours before the 1st archery elk hunts South of the Colorado river.

Sincerely Josiah Scott

Ps. Yes it is repetitive on purpose!

• Like 1