Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Reminder: Trail cam meeting/webcast tonight at main G&F office

Sir you are wrong trail cameras assist in the take of animals. If they didnt then why does thou protest so much.

• Like 2

Thom C I have only been doing cameras a few years. The most I have ever done is 11 total wow big impact. With or with out a tag I do them its fun! We killed a big archery bull last year and never had a trail cam near or around it.

• Like 2

Just like the A3 guy last night said, A trail cam is much more fair chase than modern fish finders that can see the fish live and see your lure in their face. Why do we allow that and have an issue with non live cameras? It's because the fish still has to take the lure. Just because you have a picture of an animal on your camera, does not mean they will be there come hunting season, let alone shooting it.

They do assist in taking animals, just like long range scope, turrets, rangefinders, compound bows, dial bow site etc. What makes the non live camera not fair chase? There is fair chase because the info is delayed. Live footage and pics breaks fair chase. JMO

• Like 4

Just like the A3 guy last night said, A trail cam is much more fair chase than modern fish finders that can see the fish live and see your lure in their face.

apples to oranges.

• Like 1

I don't think its different at all. Both fish finders and live trail cams give real time info of location and size of the animal.

You can sit at camp and wait till an animal shows then walk out and shoot lmao. I can't think of anything less fair chase. Nothing like trying to make a fish bite. Flying and shooting them out of a plane would be more work

• Like 2

Most of the guys that have an expensive fish finder like that let the fish go. I can't see A3 doing that to a giant bull elk. A3 wouldn't protest if they didn't think it was going to effect their business.

Is it okay for Outfitters to have a folder full of pictures of elk, and then have a client pick the one he wants? Cameras allow Outfitters with the resources to do that. Send 20 guys looking for that bull, client shows up when it's located.

I'm pro camera and run my own but something about that rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 2

I don't think its different at all. Both fish finders and live trail cams give real time info of location and size of the animal.

You can sit at camp and wait till an animal shows then walk out and shoot lmao. I can't think of anything less fair chase. Nothing like trying to make a fish bite. Flying and shooting them out of a plane would be more work

I am agreeing with you that live cameras are not fair chase. I believe the SD card cameras are fair chase.

• Like 3

If the bag limit on deer or elk was 10 a day, this argument would hold more water. Or if bass were much less common, weighed 1,000lbs and people spent a ton of money or waited many years to have the opportunity to catch one.

• Like 2

Most of the guys that have an expensive fish finder like that let the fish go. I can't see A3 doing that to a giant bull elk. A3 wouldn't protest if they didn't think it was going to effect their business.

Is it okay for Outfitters to have a folder full of pictures of elk, and then have a client pick the one he wants? Cameras allow Outfitters with the resources to do that.

I'm pro camera and run my own but something about that rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not a big outfitter guy either, but you are able to put up many cameras just like they do.

You could say the same thing about cameras, most guides let 99% of elk go. Yes I agree the rule will hurt their business. It will also hurt the auction tags and money going back into our tanks and projects.

• Like 1

If the bag limit on deer or elk was 10 a day, this argument would hold more water. Or if bass were much less common, weighed 1,000lbs and people spent a ton of money or waited many years to have the opportunity to catch one.

Thats a great point. So the issue is the scarcity of the animal and not the fair chase issue. I just don't see any good logic why the NON-live cameras break fair chase.

Trophyhunter, Thats a whole different thing on those tags but I'm with you on that one.

These guides on the Strip that run hundreds of cameras have lots of pictures of big bucks that they have watched for years and nobody has ever taken them, or it took years to finally get it. Having pictures of an animal and taking that animal are often far different things, even for a skilled guide. Obviously, the further apart the time/date of the photo is from the time a hunter is trying to get that animal, the lower the chances that the animal will still be in the area. That's one reason there isn't much push-back on the cameras that send the photo.

• Like 2

I think it would be awesome to go back to the days when the big deer and elk were a surprise and multiple people didn't have pics and different names for them.

• Like 3

I'm not a big outfitter guy either, but you are able to put up many cameras just like they do.

You could say the same thing about cameras, most guides let 99% of elk go. Yes I agree the rule will hurt their business. It will also hurt the auction tags and money going back into our tanks and projects.

Fair enough, and I get where you are coming from. The difference is that it's for profit. When the guy pulling the trigger gets called to an animal he pre selected out of a book after 20 guys are spread out looking for him.... It just doesn't seem right.

So maybe my problem isn't with cameras and with how guides are now operating for the big animals? I have no problem if you see a picture and set out to go and kill that animal. It's difficult because you can only be in one place at a time. It's different when you pay someone to be in 20 places at once and get called to it's location.

• Like 1