Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

Reminder: Trail cam meeting/webcast tonight at main G&F office

Word on the street is the Commission is considering a revised proposal that may only ban the cams in alternative management units for deer and elk from August through January or something very similar.

• Like 5

What is the definition of take? If you are a lousy hunter and dont take then no violation. I am all for this dumb rule. G&F should be very proud of what 5 years of meetings and BS has produced. The job of controlling the proliferation of cameras for profit belongs to the land manager not the G&F.

• Like 1

Word on the street is the Commission is considering a revised proposal that may only ban the cams in alternative management units for deer and elk from August through January or something very similar.

Even with this, they can only ban cameras for the take of game. They have no authority to ban cameras from being there. Talk about opening a can of worms if this passes.

Also, so its not fair chase in the alternative management units but it is fair chase in the other units? If that passes it's flat out proof this isn't about fair chase.

• Like 3

I said this on another post. They are not banning cameras with the way it's worded now, they are saying it is illegal to use to take. This does not give them or anyone else anymore right to take a camera than there is now. The burden of proof will be on them to prove you used a camera to take a certain animal.

• Like 1

But Ossifer I wasnt pursuing, I am just walking around. Ossifer says but you have the equipment to pursue. I say then I will call the Sherrif and tell her that you tried to rape me. Ossifer says I did not. I say well you have the equipment. LOL

I am in favor of this dumb rule. I want to see how G&F will enforce it. The proliferation of cameras for profit still needs more work.

I think if you have a tag in your pocket it will be a problem if there is a camera out. Have no idea how they would know it was your camera. Should be interesting if they decide to do this.

Good luck to those who attend the meeting. Let me quote a commissioner a few years ago when about 30 bow hunters showed up to a public G&F meeting in North Phoenix before an important vote:

Game & Fish Commissioner to bow hunters: "You each have 3 minutes, then the microphone will be turned off. Do not repeat or re-state comments or points already stated by a previous speaker".

He did not say this, but this is what happened when we got our 3 minutes: "While you are speaking, we will start eating our lunch, do some texting, make a few calls on our cell phones, talk among ourselves, or just leave and go to the bathroom so we can completely ignore you, because we have already made our decision long before you showed up."

This all happened after the commission let Sandy Bahr of the Sierra Club speak for 21 minutes.

Just dont put them on water. Seems easy enough.

And double check that you're a 1/4 mile from a water source?
I just take a survey transit and shoot a line. Calculate the land lay and set my cam. Most quarter miles are more like 300 feet. The rule doesnt specify land lay or as the crow flys.
300 feet is a quarter of a quarter mile.
but how is it measured? Walking steps or a straight line? What if the water source is in a hilly area?
You go ahead and explain that to azgfd that you put it 300 feet because you're a surveyor. Let me know how that goes
I dont run cams on public water as it is. But I think its a good point, how do they measure? And Im not a surveyor. I just stayed at a holiday inn express last night!

The G&F were very clear at their workshop that this, being a fair chase rule, would apply to public AND PRIVATE land. It would basically become an illegal way to hunt, anywhere in the state, unless they adjust their proposal.

If I were the G&F I wouldn't tie cameras to the "take" rule. You can legally "take" all you want... you just can't place cameras on these developed water sources within whatever distance - 1/4 mile, 200 yds, 100 yds?

If I were the G&F I wouldn't tie cameras to the "take" rule. You can legally "take" all you want... you just can't place cameras on these developed water sources within whatever distance - 1/4 mile, 200 yds, 100 yds?

The Game and Fish has no authority to do that. That would be up to the Forest Service or BLM.

• Like 1

All there other laws hold up on forest service and BLM land correct, just asking. Let's here from a legal beagle

I just take a survey transit and shoot a line. Calculate the land lay and set my cam. Most quarter miles are more like 300 feet. The rule doesnt specify land lay or as the crow flys.
but how is it measured? Walking steps or a straight line? What if the water source is in a hilly area?
You go ahead and explain that to azgfd that you put it 300 feet because you're a surveyor. Let me know how that goes
I dont run cams on public water as it is. But I think its a good point, how do they measure? And Im not a surveyor. I just stayed at a holiday inn express last night!

The G&F were very clear at their workshop that this, being a fair chase rule, would apply to public AND PRIVATE land. It would basically become an illegal way to hunt, anywhere in the state, unless they adjust their proposal.
stop me from putting a camera on MY private pond on MY property! Wont happen.
  • Like 3

stop me from putting a camera on MY private pond on MY property! Wont happen.

you shoot deer without a tag on your property too?

All there other laws hold up on forest service and BLM land correct, just asking. Let's here from a legal beagle

I'm not the legal beagle but from what I understand is that their laws apply to the animals or things related to harvesting animals and not the land. I'm trying to think of laws right now in my head that would apply. The state owns the animals even if they are on your land.

Thats why the rules would seem to apply on private as well, but sounds like total garbage if you ask me.