W.O.T

New pool

Its filthy hot & we're gettin the itch to put a pool in our backyard... anyone done this recently? Any builders in this forum?

I paid good $ to get mine filled in. Some of the best money I've ever spent..

This is funny and I almost agree. All I do is clean the stupid thing and dont even use it, but I feel like a back yard is naked with out a pool.

Good luck with the build.

• Like 1

Worse money pit than a boat and I never wanted to swim as I was tired of looking at it....

• Like 2

I’ve got a pool and never use the thing. I wouldn’t go so far to bury it, but if I ever move out of this house, the next one won’t have a pool.

I have one and rarely use it. It's my first house and I thought I just had to have it. I would never get a house with one ever again. You're right about this time of year being the best time to have one but think about the rest of the year. Something I learned is to have a pool guy maintain it for you. It's simple enough to do it yourself, but it's easy to get lazy about it. Before you make a move, think about the long term. I pay my pool guy about $100 a month and that brings him out once a week. The math works out to about $25 dollars a week. That's money well spent to me. It's also about how important your time is to you. Do you want to waste time on it? I sure don't. You will have to replace filters or a pump on occasion so be prepared for that too.

I am actively building a pool now as a homeowner builder. I have always had a pool in all my houses and enjoy being outside, BBQ and swimming, playing basketball with my kids and watching the dogs swim.

Its actually a very simple process if you are willing to work with contractors, I have had a great experience thus far (all my other pools came with the house). Only thingI have left to do is the deck, tile and plaster.

If you want some info hit me up, I have all the contractors names and advice to share, the permit is the longest phase. My complete build should be around $25K (easily a $35K+ pool from a pool builder).

Once you get your design down (engineering) and you have your permit, it moves fast, each process below is separate and you call and deal with each contractor. The process is:

Pool paint out on the ground.
dig pool
Plumbing
Steel
Electric
INSPECTION PRE-GUNITE (SHOTCRETE)
Shotcrete
Water feature (if you want one)
Deck
Tile
Barrier
Final inspection
Plaster
Fill and start up.
  • Like 5

I am actively building a pool now as a homeowner builder. I have always had a pool in all my houses and enjoy being outside, BBQ and swimming, playing basketball with my kids and watching the dogs swim.

Its actually a very simple process if you are willing to work with contractors, I have had a great experience thus far (all my other pools came with the house). Only thingI have left to do is the deck, tile and plaster.

If you want some info hit me up, I have all the contractors names and advice to share, the permit is the longest phase. My complete build should be around $25K (easily a $35K+ pool from a pool builder).

Once you get your design down (engineering) and you have your permit, it moves fast, each process below is separate and you call and deal with each contractor. The process is:

dig pool

Plumbing

Steel

Electric

Shotcrete

Deck

Tile

Barrier

Final inspection

Plaster

Fill and start up.

+1

I built a pool last year and couldn't be happier. It turned out bigger than I anticipated (18,500 gallons) but im glad it did. My boys love it and have been swimming since February.

Like said above, don't go through a pool builder....everything has a huge mark up. I did mine myself and came in just under $27,000. Give me a shout if you have any questions or need references.

se6WMCK.jpg

• Like 2

Pavers are hotter than heck. No one does real kooldec anymore. All decks now are acrylic and painted. Not very cool. If I were building one I would do travertine. It is the coolest option.

• Like 1

dig pool

Plumbing

Steel

Electric

Shotcrete

Deck

Tile

Barrier

Final inspection

Plaster

Fill and start up.

+1

I built a pool last year and couldn't be happier. It turned out bigger than I anticipated (18,500 gallons) but im glad it did. My boys love it and have been swimming since February.

Like said above, don't go through a pool builder....everything has a huge mark up. I did mine myself and came in just under $27,000. Give me a shout if you have any questions or need references.

se6WMCK.jpg

How is the financing done if you sub out all the work yourself instead of using a pool builder or general contractor? Or do you just have to have the cash? I'm a few weeks away from buying a home and a pool is high on our want list, but none of the homes we are looking at have a pool.