Sign in to follow this  
Knolan

WTB a lightweight hunting rifle

Savage lightweight hunters are pretty neat too.

Ill second that. I have a Savage LWH in .260 and is one of my all time favorites. Very accurate for a little light gun, have taken It to 1,100 yards for fun and is dead on.

Killed a few deer with it, longest was 536 yards and was a chip shot for it. Weighs in at 7lbs 12oz full set up and thats with a 20oz scope plus caps and lightweight bipod. Heres my last group with new brass, not my best but happy since its only a 14X scope and for what it is.

You probably just cost me some $$$ nice rifle

post-2359-0-17235700-1530081257_thumb.png

All the rifles that were mentioned are great rifles. However I have to say that the Tikka has the smoothest action and best trigger out of the box... The Ruger American for the money is the best buy but action is not as smooth as the Tikka. I own both rifles.

Really nice rifle! What bipod is that?

Its a spartan carbon bipod and I believe is only 5oz. It comes with an adapter that utilizes the sling swivel screw hole or a gunsmith adapter thats mounted into the stock. Mine has the gunsmith adapter set into my stock.
I have been looking at these bipods and am going to buy one what height do you have ? And if you got the short do you wish you would have got the taller one ? Also the mount that you have drilled into your stock do you know if it can be drilled into a carbon stock ?

Really nice rifle! What bipod is that?

Its a spartan carbon bipod and I believe is only 5oz. It comes with an adapter that utilizes the sling swivel screw hole or a gunsmith adapter thats mounted into the stock. Mine has the gunsmith adapter set into my stock.
I have been looking at these bipods and am going to buy one what height do you have ? And if you got the short do you wish you would have got the taller one ? Also the mount that you have drilled into your stock do you know if it can be drilled into a carbon stock ?

I got the short version which is tha 6-9 I believe. Thats the height I shoot with my other bipods as well as in th field. If I need extra height Ill put on a backpack or a couple rocks. Rather have too short and being able to gain elevation easily vs. having a bipod too long during a hunting situation and unable to get positioned properly. Been there done that unfortunately.

Im sure it could be drilled in carbon, probably have to talk to your smith or stock manufacturer. I have mine set up to use the ultra light bipod but relocated my swivel sling stud so I can still use my Harris when I want, and to have a sling attachment.

Ive got a tikka t3x lite, the rifle and scope Im right at 7lbs. I have no experience with the other models that have been listed but I was extremely surprised with the accuracy of the tikka right out of the box.

Hand loading for 6.5x284 Norma would mean a step up in performance over 6.5 Creed and the 260 Rem.

I really want a nice 6.5x284 Norma custom rifle, maybe even a factory Savage 6.5x284 for now (totally forgot about savage), but I'm 20 and my budget is small. My dad just started reloading so that's not an issue.

• Like 1

Tikka all the way