Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

“Big” flat screen TVs

What do you do with a big 56 flat screen tv when your kids are Messing around & throw something against it & breaks it ... ( besides tanning some back sides ) ....not really broken as in loose glass, but 1/4 of the screen is blacked out with what looks like break lines . The rest of the tv works & looks fine . Is there places that fix these or are they done for & just throw them in a dumpster? Or other places to take them ?

As cheap as they are now, you are probably going to just end up throwing it away and getting a new one. A 55" LED can be had for $600 or less during sales

• Like 3

Can't just throw them in a dumpster. Well I guess you can if you don't get caught.

When my son was 2 he took a plastic golf club to my brand new Sony 40". It was $1600 at the time. We just got a new one last year. It had a line 4 pixels wide across the screen for years.

Mill house great advise - kids are way to plugged in these days . We had our original 20” tube tv ever since getting married 20 years ago . FINALY last year got the tv on sale . In 20 years of marriage we have never been connected to cable - satellite or any other thing . We’ve had a few vhs’s and now recently Netflix and that’s it . My kids have never the PlayStations x-box’s or anything like that. What they do have is 4 horses , 20 head of mother cows , 30 acres in alfalfa , and another 30 in corn or permanent pasture . My boys 11-14-17 work 6-8 hr every summer day building fence , painting corrals , irrigating , hauling hay , hoeing weeds, cleaning out stalls , feeding , branding , working cows , mowing there law, weeding and picking the garden etc . And most days have the horses ridden before all of that starts . So yea I agree on being unplugged . Kids don’t know how to work these days .

• Like 4

Mill house great advise - kids are way to plugged in these days . We had our original 20 tube tv ever since getting married 20 years ago . FINALY last year got the tv on sale . In 20 years of marriage we have never been connected to cable - satellite or any other thing . Weve had a few vhss and now recently Netflix and thats it . My kids have never the PlayStations x-boxs or anything like that. What they do have is 4 horses , 20 head of mother cows , 30 acres in alfalfa , and another 30 in corn or permanent pasture . My boys 11-14-17 work 6-8 hr every summer day building fence , painting corrals , irrigating , hauling hay , hoeing weeds, cleaning out stalls , feeding , branding , working cows , mowing there law, weeding and picking the garden etc . And most days have the horses ridden before all of that starts . So yea I agree on being unplugged . Kids dont know how to work these days .

Would you like to adopt another (temporary basis of course):) i grew up feeding and watering cattle and pigs etc etc and would love to see my 9 year old experience some of this Country living i miss so much. Sometimes its hard to relate todays chores to the kimd his mom and i grew up doing. Throwing hay in the dark before school and watering is kinda different than anything else today

A TV is cheap compared to a lot of stuff I broke as a kid. It sucks, but kids break stuff.

Buy the kids a new 60" TV for Christmas that goes in the living room. Tell them Santa brought it for you to replace the one they broke.

• Like 4

Hoghntr - sure we can always use an extra hand :)

Lance - for sure they do - and yea that’s probably what will happen :) I was more wondering if there was a place that “recycles/fixes” them - or if they are like everything else now days and “disposable” .... just seems a shame to throw it away when everything is still good .... I’m used to a little welding and bailing wire to make things keep going :) ..... but seems like the dumpster is the answer.

• Like 2

I have a 50" Samsung flat screen with some pixels that have gone out. After doing some research on repair costs, it is not worth the repair. I'm going to replace it.

There may be some electronic repair shops that might take it off your hands, for parts?

Mine will end up in the dumpster.

Can't just throw them in a dumpster. Well I guess you can if you don't get caught.

No not in the dumpster but there is a few safe haven places with no questions asked if I recall. fire stations QT'S and some other joints. Just lie about there age ;)

• Like 1