Sign in to follow this  
buckman888

30-06 load

Has anyone found a ridiculously efficient 30-06 load that groups well up to 400 yds (realistically I feel that a quarter of a mile is the furthest I want to shoot while hunting). I loaded 180gr Sierra spitzers with 55 grains of imr 4831. On a lead sled at 200 yds we had a decent group but at three hundred we we're all over the place. I've heard I should have started at 165 but I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

Sierra 180 BT GK with a near max H4350 load per a Speer manual from early 1990's

Sierra 165 BT GK with a near max H4350 " " " " " "

My MOD 70 Classic 30-06 from early 1990's tolerated near full loads, groups were from 1.25 to just under an inch.

imr 4350 for 180 gr N partitions and varget for 150 gr N ballistic tips.The 150s will group better.

Has anyone found a ridiculously efficient 30-06 load that groups well up to 400 yds (realistically I feel that a quarter of a mile is the furthest I want to shoot while hunting). I loaded 180gr Sierra spitzers with 55 grains of imr 4831. On a lead sled at 200 yds we had a decent group but at three hundred we we're all over the place. I've heard I should have started at 165 but I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

Are you using the lead sled for 300 yard shooting? I have had good groups at 300, but also not easy keeping keeping control of recoil/muzzle jump when shooting 30-06 with 180's. Of all powders RL22, IMR4831, AA4350, IMR4350 and H4350 my best groups were from H4350. I have heard of shooters having good groups at 100 yards and then having them scatter at longer ranges. Never experienced this not sure what would cause that. Good luck.

Thank you all for the info. I'll see what I can figure out. Yeah I was having excellent groups at 100 yards just on my bipods but I would like a little more confidence further out. Thanks again

I have a REM. 700 3006 and used the newest nosler load data from their web site and loaded 180 gr. partitions using H4831 SC groups were .665 at 100 yards.

• Like 1

We had good results with Berger HVLD in 168gr over RL22.

We tested out to 500 yards with good results.

My 30-06 has never liked anything but 165s. Sub 1/4 moa with 165s and + 1 moa with 180s.

53 grains of IMR 4320 and any good flat - base 150 gr. bullet (I don't think Barnes makes anything but boattails, but they are good). Try to stay within 0.025" of the lands. Sort brass, clean up primer pockets and flash holes. Don't over trim. Remington 9 1/2 primers have a good reputation for accuracy.

forepaw

I have a REM. 700 3006 and used the newest nosler load data from their web site and loaded 180 gr. partitions using H4831 SC groups were .665 at 100 yards.

1953 model 70, this is THE load for 25 years of filling the freezer. my only big bull was one round at 474yd.

lee

Almost all the he 30-06 family of cartridges benefit greatly from Hodgdon HSP. We easily get 3150 fps with 150 gr bullets and over 3000 fps with 165/168 gr. Start with H4831 load data.

Just remember it is not one of their extreme powders so it is more temperature sensitive.

53 grains of IMR 4320 and any good flat - base 150 gr. bullet (I don't think Barnes makes anything but boattails, but they are good). Try to stay within 0.025" of the lands. Sort brass, clean up primer pockets and flash holes. Don't over trim. Remington 9 1/2 primers have a good reputation for accuracy.

forepaw

Wow that takes me back. When I started loading almost 50 years ago that was my Dad's go to load. I took my first buck with just this load, IMR4320 and a flat base Sierra 150gr spitzer. Looking at my notes I also find .02 off the lands give or take is what worked in my rifle. Would agree, my experience is that flash hole clean up does help.

IMR 4064 is a solid performer in the .30-06. 48-49gr with your choice of 165 class bullet should be good to go.