Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Home A/C help

Red Mtn AC repaired mine about 2 mo ago. The capacitor was ok, buy a fried relay in the heat pump

was the culprit. Repairs and parts (on a sunday morning!) 380.00 Honest guys 480-836-7222

You can disconnect your compressor leads off your contactor and see if it still is chattering. Maybe your chatter is the contactor trying to close? This would allow you to ohm out your compressor as well even though its best to do that at base of compressor.

• Like 2

AZ Eddy AC 480-235-5712

I went to AC school with him, honest and does good work

Yep Eddy is a good dude, he was my old neighbor.

• Like 1

The Cooling fan motor in the condensing unit is usually the culprit. If the unit is not leaking refrigerant, , there is usually no need to replace the whole unit.

Just a word of advice to anyone who might experience this in the future. If you here the condensing unit trying to start, but won't, TURN OFF THE POWER TO YOUR AIR CONDITIONER!!!!! It just might save you a compressor. Trying to run an Air Conditioner that is broken, will usually just break more stuff. I know it sucks to turn it off, but you will potentially save yourself thousands of dollars in the long run. Leave it off until someone that knows what they are doing can look at it.

This compressor possibly could have been saved. A new run cap, and a hard start kit, might have bought it a few more years of operation. It could have been as simple as a bad contactor. Hopefully the OP will update us on the problem once he finds it out.

• Like 1

The problem is you all live where it's hot and you have to have air conditioning. It is a nice cool 89 here and feels like 86 right now and storm clouds moving in to cool it off even more.

• Like 3

Thanks for everyone's input. I could not pinpoint the sound last night until this morning but good advice to turnoff unit. Had I known it I would have.

Sorry. Wish I would have read this sooner. You are honestly better off though getting a new unit, rather than repairing the old one. It will cost too much, and you'll still be stuck with an old unit. Most AC companies have sort of financing program for new AC installations if you don't have the cash. Just something to think about.

• Like 1

Yeah, whole unit getting replaced. Fan motor and compressor toast. Will cost about 3/4 as much as a new unit. Unit is almost 40 years old and really inefficient. Bummer. Really not ready for a new unit cost.

An energy efficient unit could pay for itself over time, in electric bill savings.

Yeah, whole unit getting replaced. Fan motor and compressor toast. Will cost about 3/4 as much as a new unit. Unit is almost 40 years old and really inefficient. Bummer. Really not ready for a new unit cost.

An energy efficient unit could pay for itself over time, in electric bill savings.

Probably like 5 years. Check with SRP and see if they have a rebate program for that. Problem is they run out of rebate money. I would not spend 3/4'$ in repairs. Just replace it.

• Like 1

Is this a split system or a package unit?