Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Home A/C help

Stormed knocked out power to my house last night for a few hours. When it turned back on at 11:30, the air conditioner was not blowing cold air, just the fan circulating air. About every 1-2 minutes, there is a loud but short noise that sounds a bit like a woodpecker on metal that sounds like it is coming from the air conditioner unit. Sounds like two metal pieces grinding briefly. Help, my family is hot! Unit is from the late 70s or early 80s. Need to fix it to save money for new one! Any ideas? Is the noise the compressor trying to turn on?

Local, small independent kid took care of me really well last year:

Brent 480-430-8324

Any AC company will charge you around $200 at a minimum...start capacitors only cost around $10. Was the unit running fine before this? Was there any unusual noise or issues yesterday before the storm>

Any AC company will charge you around $200 at a minimum...start capacitors only cost around $10. Was the unit running fine before this? Was there any unusual noise or issues yesterday before the storm>

No problems at all before the storms knocked it out. Yes, it is old like me, and makes a few random noises every now and then like me, but overall it was working just fine without any real issues. Storms came and power came and went a few times. Then when power returned late at night, it started making that noise immediately and no cold air.

One of my units did the same thing a few years ago, but without the power failure. A crimp came off one of the tabs for the cap and it was arking to the housing. Put on a new crimp and it was good to go.

Make sure you don't touch the wiring tabs on the top of the Capacitor with bare hands. Unless the cap is discharged, you will know what it feels like to be Tasered. Its an easy fix if it is just a Cap.

The blower motor in the air handling unit, will often have a run start capacitor also.

Is the wood pecker sound coming from the condensing unit outside, or do you hear the sound from inside the house close to the Unit?

• Like 3

Home Depot carries them. Read on discharging them before you remove the old one, they can retain energy. If that i the issue it really isnt hard just shut off all breakers. My units are older and two years ago when mine went bad I got an extra for each unit just in case.

Yep I would check the flux capacitor, thats sounds exactly what happen when mine went out.

Comfort Experts - Ryan - 480-628-0965