bojangles

hunting map apps, gps

Here's a little trick with onx, I was in an area with no coverage but didn't have that area downloaded so I just marked where my camp was and road out, I was still able to mark items I wanted and find my way back to the truck I just couldn't see the map, I was also able to click on a way point and use the goto function to get me to where I was wanting to go. 

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of OnX, the offline map resolution options are pretty stupid. Shouldn’t be limited to a mile by mile area for the highest resolution. I’ve used the Topo maps app for years and it’s completely replaced my handheld gps, doesn’t have any of the fancy features of OnX but it’s reliable and easy to use. 

Short answer is yes onx can replace your gps and work with no service if you’ve downloaded the area. 

But if I’m out for several days my phone battery’s dies. So I either bring a small battery pack to charge the cell phone or use a gps. 

On 11/1/2018 at 6:00 AM, oz31p said:

Short answer is yes onx can replace your gps and work with no service if you’ve downloaded the area. 

But if I’m out for several days my phone battery’s dies. So I either bring a small battery pack to charge the cell phone or use a gps. 

I had 3 of us using ON X in CO this deer season.   One was a Samsung and the others were I phones.   My battery life wasn't great because I didn't put it into airplane mode.    I had an extra battery pack and it worked pretty good if I needed it.   I had access to power every night so I just plugged in my phone each night and made it through the day most of the time.   I was amazed at how many people we ran into that were using ON X.   Crazy.   It was the first trip for my buddies using the software and it took a day or two of using it and then they loved it.   None of use even bothered with a GPS.    My kids won't even know why we carried a GPS in the old days.  

On 11/1/2018 at 6:00 AM, oz31p said:

But the GPS also runs on batteries so isn't it a wash? 

A gps will run a week on a set of battery’s . How long will your smart phone last?

9 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

But the GPS also runs on batteries so isn't it a wash? 

• Like 1

This is the big problem, I can use my phone with onx off grid all day and then play tunes all night and my battery is dead. 

I have been carrying a battery pack for years now and with not much weight carried I can charge my phone dead to full 3 times. 

The new way around that is I have several items that can be charged with that battery pack so I switched to a solar panel set up and a smaller battery pack. 

So really the only extra item in my pack is the solar panel. Mine is made by Anker and has two USB ports and does work in cloudy weather

Guest akaspecials

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I use a Delorme Inreach with their Earthmate app on my phone. I have access to all the USGS topo maps through download. I literally charge my InReach once for every ten or fifteen days in the field. My phone will last 3-4 days in airplane mode with typical backcountry use. You still end up carrying 2 devices but you have a lot more functionality with the Inreach than the GPS (mainly being able to send texts anywhere) . I only carry solar panels if I'm out over 3 or 4 days or watching movies in the tent at night (drains batteries). 

+1 for Avenza Maps.  The app is free and maps don't cost much.  Game Planner Maps used to be a sponsor on here and he makes nice maps for Avenza.  The nice thing about Avenza is you can really test it out over a long period without much cost.  It's easy to use and has more functionality than a gps.  You can use it in the field without a cell signal and easily import tracks and waypoints to and from Google Earth.  

On 9/2/2018 at 9:03 AM, joe hunter said:

I have on x but I am going to buy a year of the routing app Gaia and compare the two then get rid of the one I like the least.

What did you end up deciding? I have used Gaia on my phone and on the computer for the last 6 months, and with the fees being lower and the offline content syncing and working across all devices it's been great! They just added some hunting icons to the waypoints too.. so deer, tracks, trail camera (shh), etc. all more visual. I was using the dog for seeing live deer and the heart for sign.

Does anyone have any advice on the best USGS mapping software to use in conjunction with onX Hunt and my Garmin 64s. I have a plotter so can print my own paper maps.

I would like to map routes and be able to print them on paper maps.

Thanks Bojangles for starting this thread, I have very similar questions that you did.

What did you end up doing? On X? Gaia? GPS? Something else?

I know this thread is a year old but I appreciate reading all the other feedback from others too!

Thanks,

Jeff