kazpilot25

2018 Bugling Bulls

In 5bsouth. Passed a 5x5 on the opener. 83 degrees. They are going nuts all night. Get on em in the morning get set up and call for my daughter and they get farther away in a hurry. Sitting water in the evenings hoping to get lucky and nothing has come in yet. Oh and my dad passed a spike at 15yds Saturday morning

Probably the most talking I've ever heard. Seeing lots of elk but been unlucky in having them stand close in front of my friend to shoot. He wounded one and deflected off a branch on another. 

29 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Probably the most talking I've ever heard. Seeing lots of elk but been unlucky in having them stand close in front of my friend to shoot. He wounded one and deflected off a branch on another. 

How’s the hunting pressure in Unit 1.  Ever since they made permit numbers 300+ I’ve shied away from putting in there.  

On 9/13/2018 at 11:53 AM, kazpilot25 said:

I’m heading out of town here shortly for elk camp and wanted to check for reports of if they’ve started up the bugling chaos yet or not. With this heat I’m assuming the second week should be much better and they should be more fired up. 

I’ve heard of some bugling here and there in 10 and 3c, but definitely not fired up yet. What have you all heard so far?

I was 4b and elk were screaming. Especially near where I was on wildcat rd near 153.  Just wish I had a tag!!!!

• Like 1

Back from 8 long enough to drop my kid off.  Bugled all night Thursday, Friday, less Saturday,  Only a couple after that.  Bugled good in the morning Friday, got within 70 - 80 yards of 2 5x5's and a 6x6.  Saturday, close again.  Sunday I finally saw a good 6x6 but got busted by a cow.  That was right at daylight, after that....silence. Monday it was dead and I heard 1 bull bugle this morning.  I was closing in on him and had his cows walk by at 23 yards, then a freaking woodcutter comes driving up through the forest.  Talk about pissed off.  Anyway, it has been hot up there, 85.  Add that into all the weekend hunters and this is what happens.  Bulls go silent for a couple days until things settle down.  Probably well over half the guys are gone already.  Cooler weather tomorrow with chance of rain.  It will pick up.  Headed to the store and then back up.  Good luck.

Elk are talking a lot in 8 right now, but quit after about 7:30-ish in the morning and don't start up until late afternoon/early evening. 

Hunting bulls is so much fun this time of year!

4A has been on fire.   Bulls are coming to calls, just have to find what they want.  Some are coming to bugles with raking, and others to a cow call.  Been a fun hunt.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, standman said:

How’s the hunting pressure in Unit 1.  Ever since they made permit numbers 300+ I’ve shied away from putting in there.  

Nephew is guiding in the unit. He put a bull to bed the night before season (sent me video of the big bastard)and had his 72 year old Hunter in position before light within 45 yards. A hunter from Benson or Vail busted up the calling interaction and pushed the elk to parts unknown.  A curfuffle ensued. Helped on a few hunts there seems to be more  hunters than mature bulls in some places and some places are epic unit 1

Was up in 1 from the 12th through the 17th. Seeing a ton of bulls and the rut activity was just getting decent when I was heading out. Bugles were good until about 7:30 in the morning then shut down. For the most part the last hour of light they lit up pretty decent but it definitely wasn't fully on yet. Some Bulls would come charging in and some Bulls wouldn't come in for anyting. Called in five Bulls on opening day and my buddy ended up shooting the fifth. Not a monster by any means but it was a nice 5x5. It was his first archery kill and first elk so he was pumped to say the least and that was all that mattered.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, bigj23 said:

4A has been on fire.   Bulls are coming to calls, just have to find what they want.  Some are coming to bugles with raking, and others to a cow call.  Been a fun hunt.  

I was up there on opening weekend and didn't hear much.  Nice to see that it's picking up.  My 11 year old daughter has the junior tag in a couple weeks.  Would be cool if they are still bugling for her.

They were still talking good this week, just not coming to calls as well.  We got close many times, meaning 10 feet close, but it didn’t work out.  It was a fun hunt and glad my buddy drug me along.