rossislider

Kembria's First Buck

After my little Kembria drew tag number 100 of 100 tags for her first choice deer hunt this fall, I felt that luck was on our side. We, her big brother Draysen and I, spent a fair amount of time with her over the past few months working on target acquisition in the scope, trigger control, etc. But I would be lying if I didn't admit to being a little nervous about her first big game hunt. Desire wasn't an issue, she has been chomping at the bit for years. But unlike her big brother, I just wasn't sure how she would do. 

Well, yesterday we loaded up the truck and headed up north. We had a good opening morning plan to head into an area where I have consistently found bucks over the years. For her first hunt I wasn't looking for a big buck, just a decent one that would be within her range. As we rolled into camp (actually my brother-in-law’s family cabin), I got a message from a new buddy letting me know he and a friend were on a tank of a buck, but with no tag themselves, they wanted a kid to shoot it. He sent me some pictures, and my jaw dropped!

We made plans to meet up very early this morning to see if we could relocate him. Within the first minutes of glassable light, we got a glimps of him just as he and his buddies were topping out and disappearing over the ridge across from us. Draysen was the first to see why they were fleeing. A group of hunters were walking up the same ridge the bucks were on right in their direction. We made a quick plan to try and get ahead of the bucks, as they were still unaware of our presence. Within 30 minutes we were ahead of them and had them feeding out in front of us at 350 yards. I got Kembria set up on the Claw/Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor combo (the Claw is the original version of the Triclawps) and we continued to watch them feeding in and out of the trees waiting for a good shot. There were five bucks in the group, all well above our original expectations for the hunt. The second biggest buck in the group stepped into the opening broadside, and all of a sudden a group of deer (estimate maybe ten) busted out of the thick trees about 30 yards to our right and bolted. This caught the attention of our bachelor group of deer and I quickly became concerned they were likewise going to bolt. I said to Kembria "See that big buck in the open?" She replied "Yes!" I said, "Shoot him!" Maybe one second later, BOOM!!! Perfect 350 yard lung shot. He wasn't the biggest boy of the group (the bigger one was similar in length to the one she shot, but more mass). Nonetheless, the five of us were beside ourselves with excitement. Not a half bad opening morning buck for a little girl who just turned 10 years old two weeks ago. 

Pretty great day for this proud pappa!

Can't thank our friends G.R. and Tanner enough for the huge assist! 

FB_IMG_1540610320603.jpg

FB_IMG_1540610330274.jpg

FB_IMG_1540610345827.jpg

FB_IMG_1540610338484.jpg

FB_IMG_1540610352477.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Great Buck! 2

We made it home from the mountains this afternoon and it was time to process Kembria's deer. We made steaks, roasts, maple breakfast sausage, brats, and burger. It made for a long afternoon. Glad it is done!

FYI, the LEM maple breakfast sausage seasoning packet is fantastic! 

20181028_142825.jpg

20181028_143523.jpg

20181028_175510.jpg

20181028_185100.jpg

20181028_185211.jpg

20181028_193252.jpg

20181028_192626.jpg

• Like 1