Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

Javelina carrying a rabbit?

Big fat piggy in the 1st pic then a smaller one in the 2nd. Cannot figure out what the heck is in the picture though. Looks like the little piggy is carrying a rabbit in its mouth. Ever seen something like this before?

00000763.JPG

00000766.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe its just the pics, but Those don’t look like javelina. No collar. Long hair. 

Looks like feral pigs. 

• Like 2

Dont look like Javi to me !

• Like 1

I think the "rabbit" is just a young pig/javi

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

First one has teets 

Yep.  That was a give away to me too.  From what I've read javelina, which are not true pigs, only have two teats.  And you never see them on a live one 'cause they're up and back (like where a coues doe's are).   Sow pigs can have 10 or more 'cause they can have lots of piglets.  I agree with the posters who said it's a feral pig.  (And what looks like a rabbit in the second one's mouth could just be a piglet that was in a weird position when the shutter on the camera went off.

• Like 2

So if the majority of us think they’re feral then I have captured them on a game cam. This camera was nowhere near the West side of the state where I have heard they might be at. This camera is just South of Superior. That’s why I figured they were Javi. Too bad I didn’t have a better camera.

Yup, look like hogs. However if they had been javi, they are opportunist so it wouldnt be real weird to see one with a dead animal in its mouth.  

And one know of health concerns with consuming the meat from these hogs? If I come across them I will certainly take as many as I can.

4 minutes ago, CJNAZ said:

And one know of health concerns with consuming the meat from these hogs? If I come across them I will certainly take as many as I can.

Use the same precautions as eating bear. Cook to 160 degrees. 

The ones I have ate have been really good. 

There used to be a fenced hog operation near Reddington. Would not be a stretch for them to come up the San Pedro / Gila river.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CJNAZ said:

So if the majority of us think they’re feral then I have captured them on a game cam. This camera was nowhere near the West side of the state where I have heard they might be at. This camera is just South of Superior. That’s why I figured they were Javi. Too bad I didn’t have a better camera.

Only ever heard of feral pigs being on the east side of state... and all up and down the san pedro river.

• Like 1