rszkutak

new to shed hunting, advice?

I'm wanting to go out this spring and search for shed's, if i find some great, if not i had an excuse to get into the outdoors for a day or two.

that being said, I don't need or want your spots for finding shed's.  Some general guidance on what to look for and what area's to focus on would be great.

Should I do some glassing for them like you do for deer in the bab as opposed to walking like mad.  Sure walking you will see more for sure, but glassing you have the advantage of covering a lot more ground quickly, or would glassing defeat the purpose and cause you to lose shed's that otherwise might be there.  I have all Swaro's too, not cheaper glass that could hide shed's if they were visable.

I know the area's of the state would change on the time of the year, southern area's being different than kaibab.  As a rule of thumb, when should I start looking in the sea of junipers and possibly up in the bab?

thank you in advance for your responses.

I've only found three sheds. One elk, one Muley, one Coues.  So I'm no expert however if you have a general idea of where the target animal should be during the shed period walking fence lines would be a good start.   As far as the Bab sheds I think are found lower not higher for the most part. I heard the guy from Muley crazy has an ultralight that he flies around the bab and strip with and sends GPS cords. To guys on the ground. 

I'm curious to here others on this as it's something I've wondered about myself. Problem is it's so dang competitive now it's like a pissing contest. 

It is tough to find sheds in AZ. In flatter areas they will drop all over the place and we have good road access pretty much everywhere so those spots get cleaned out fast. SE facing hillsides close to good water sources are the general best places to find sheds. Anywhere that gets good sun mid-winter is where you want to start looking. Wind sheltered valleys where elk bed down and fence lines are also good spots to start. Everyone here says shed hunt valleys and that may be true for the country off the rim but I've found all my best sheds over 7-8k feet usually close to snow lines. Google earth, find a good water source close to some hills and varied terrain where you know a good herd is and then start pounding ground. If you are pulling 1-2 horns every 10 miles or so of hiking you are doing well for AZ.

• Like 2

Yup, 1-2 every 10 miles is what I find. Some guys find pockets of sheds but I never have. Even if I watch 10-15 bulls during winter it seems they start moving around the same time they drop and scatter them everywhere.

We got lucky and found 4 sheds in 4 trips archery hunting this Dec/Jan + 1 we glassed up but haven't gotten to them yet a decent 4pt mulie that I think the glassed up one is the match and nice little 4pt coues in the mix.  a couple of decent elk sheds in Oct bear hunting including one glassed up that was just way to big of canyon to even think about. I have never done the spring thing, but sure see some full loads coming down 60 once in awhile. I assume reservation guys?

I shed hunted hard for the first time last year and picked up over 50 sheds. I would start walking as the sun was rising and wouldn’t make it back to the truck until well after dark. I carried a pair of 10s to glass short distances and I hunted areas I was familiar with that I knew had animals. 

Don’t over think it and just start walking.  Even if I didn’t find anything I was still learning a lot about the areas I’ve hunted for years and I think it paid off during hunting season last year. 

Pack a lunch and lots of water! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GJMauro12 said:

I shed hunted hard for the first time last year and picked up over 50 sheds. I would start walking as the sun was rising and wouldn’t make it back to the truck until well after dark. I carried a pair of 10s to glass short distances and I hunted areas I was familiar with that I knew had animals. 

Don’t over think it and just start walking.  Even if I didn’t find anything I was still learning a lot about the areas I’ve hunted for years and I think it paid off during hunting season last year. 

Pack a lunch and lots of water! 

This is the best advice most of the stuff I hunted in 1 and 27 I found while shed hunting. I was more willing to break it down and really explore when I was looking for sheds as I would criss cross the country more trying to see everything.  

It's cut throat out there. Good luck, I don't think it's fun anymore 

• Like 1

Nobody really shed hunts around Kingman, density is just so low, I probably average like 1 crappy bleached muley shed per 15 miles here local, come one come all! Elk sheds in the Hualapais are worse than that. The good(and therefore secret) spots are far away. I have actually found in the mule deer areas I have had good luck in that there have been higher concentrations of sheds on the north and east facing slopes of the bigger hills, but I find them all over.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:14 PM, CatfishKev said:

I've only found three sheds. One elk, one Muley, one Coues.  So I'm no expert however if you have a general idea of where the target animal should be during the shed period walking fence lines would be a good start.   As far as the Bab sheds I think are found lower not higher for the most part. I heard the guy from Muley crazy has an ultralight that he flies around the bab and strip with and sends GPS cords. To guys on the ground. 

I'm curious to here others on this as it's something I've wondered about myself. Problem is it's so dang competitive now it's like a pissing contest. 

Didnt he also fly it during the hunts and got busted for it years ago 

• Like 1

Just start walking. The Kaibab gets hit very hard, mostly in the sage cuts. I like getting up in the cedar/ junipers.  Hard to say exactly when they drop, it varies. Just enjoy the country with friends and family.  I have found most Lion and Winter kills in the trees.

!cid__162d5b19ce52c068cad1_.jpg

!cid__162d5b28f81fc4cf2ca1_.jpg

31 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Couldn't tell you. The shop is worth checking out though. Pretty gnarly mounts in there.  

I’ve been. They’re mosty replicas 

Just look in the areas where the bulls shed their antlers and you’ll find horns. 

-John Madden (probably)