rpowell600

First Time Javelina Hunting Question

I have a tag in 23 and didnt some prescouting on the ground and noticed the area is full of cattle grazing unless you get to higher altitude. I was under the impression that javelina stay down low in the desert areas but Im only seeing signs of cattle. Will they not be where cattle are at? Or should I focus on more wash areas with dense growth instead of rolling hills and canyons? Was just up there on opening day when the snow was thick and only saw cattle and deer tracks and we covered several miles on foot. Im NOT trying to internet scout but looking for tips to help lead me to finding javelina.

My observations from the past three days and 30 years of hunting them is that they do not like hanging around the cattle. They may still cross the areas with cattle but they do not bed as much where the cattle are staying. I could be wrong but that is my experience. Javelina will be high and low.

• Like 1

I find them in and around cattle. I was on a herd yesterday that was with in 100 yards of cattle. 

• Like 2

Found them where I'm hunting really high on bouldery mountains.  I shot one today at 30 yds and he fell over. Sat there for about 5 minutes and he got up and went in a crevis in a boulder and it went way back in there and we couldn't fit in it. Tried to figure out how to get in there until dark so he is still in there. And I have glassed pigs next to cattle and I have seen cattle blow pigs out so who knows. Just glass a lot they blend in very good.

• Like 1

That happened to me last year. It’s a common story. Those little cave dwellers are sneaky.

• Like 2

I was into a big herd this morning - cattle less than 100 yards away. I agree with Flatlander 100% - kind of funny because I started glassing near a cave and within - no kidding 5 seconds found the herd that lived there. And this was at first light, so the theory that they only move late in the morning - well that hasn't been my experience for sure. 

They are very interesting critters. You can find them just about anywhere, but someplace close by has to be some type of protective structure - thick brush at the base of rocky outcroppings are good. Usually a complex area with a lot of structure like lots of ravines close together where they can get out in the open when they want to but have access to multiple escape routes. And because of their size, they can disappear really quickly, either in a drainage you can't see, under a cedar or even some thick brush and they'll stand there motionless for a very long time. I sat on one today at 50 yards but all I could see was his head. The herd caught a sound from my approach in the frozen dirt, and just all of a sudden, it was like they were just gone. 20 or so minutes later they started moving again right where I had been looking for them. They settled down and looked totally relaxed but the wind shifted slightly and they started bouncing around popping up everywhere. Didn't get a good shot, but it sure was fun.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, Coach said:

I was into a big herd this morning - cattle less than 100 yards away. I agree with Flatlander 100% - kind of funny because I started glassing near a cave and within - no kidding 5 seconds found the herd that lived there. And this was at first light, so the theory that they only move late in the morning - well that hasn't been my experience for sure. 

They are very interesting critters. You can find them just about anywhere, but someplace close by has to be some type of protective structure - thick brush at the base of rocky outcroppings are good. Usually a complex area with a lot of structure like lots of ravines close together where they can get out in the open when they want to but have access to multiple escape routes. And because of their size, they can disappear really quickly, either in a drainage you can't see, under a cedar or even some thick brush and they'll stand there motionless for a very long time. I sat on one today at 50 yards but all I could see was his head. The herd caught a sound from my approach in the frozen dirt, and just all of a sudden, it was like they were just gone. 20 or so minutes later they started moving again right where I had been looking for them. They settled down and looked totally relaxed but the wind shifted slightly and they started bouncing around popping up everywhere. Didn't get a good shot, but it sure was fun.

Jason knows of what he speaks...

• Like 1

Well I went to a different area in 23 and I found their base camp lol. I was out today (after yesterday’s all day rain) and found 4 javelina cutting across my path in the thick desert about 40 yards from me. I attempt to follow them and lose them about 10 minutes into the stalk. I find myself on this very small hillside and I stop for water. Not 2 minutes later I hear rustling coming from where I just walked. 2 more javelina are seen trotting for just a few seconds before disappearing in the nasty cat claw infested desert. Seems I found their highest in between a big open hillside and a fairly wide and long wash. 

In the wash I found multiple sets of tracks of javelina, and deer, going each way imaginable. I followed one set of tracks and it led me to 2 more javelina and again I lose them in the brush. I hunted hard all day and after the last sighting (10am or so) I only saw tracks. I’ll be sure to do the same thing I did early next weekend. The first sighting this morning was about 730am and they seemed to not notice me but were on a mission. I found it odd that with the exception of a few pads of prickley pear gone there wasn’t more signs of them eating cactus. This area also did not have any cattle this time. 

Also, I found this scat in a few different spots on this particular hillside. What is it of?

9F25E161-69E0-4EE0-8EEE-269320ECC210.jpeg

FCDDA20E-BA89-4BB9-AB1D-7284F0222439.jpeg

I've seen them feeding next to cattle a bunch of times.   A lot depends on the temperament of the herd of pigs and cattle.  

• Like 2

Looks like javi poop to me!  Top one for sure.  Second one has a bit of hair so I am second guessing, but that would be my first reaction.  Javelina poop is like a dog poop but green, and turns chalky white as it ages.

• Like 3

But yes, that's definitely javi scat, and you are close. Use the wind. When you are close you will smell them, and if you are up wind of them they will smell you a long way off. 

These little buggers get a bad rap as being easy, but they are way sharper than they often get credit for.  

• Like 3

Javelina have evolved because of the increased pressure of millions of hunters chasing them for 2 months.  The Javelina that used to sleep all night and venture out on sunny hillsides in the morning are dead.  Now days they eat at night and hide out in the day, mostly.  Think of them as rabbits now and look in the thick stuff.  Or scout out a herd that is miles from a road and largely undisturbed by the hordes of bow and arrow carriers out there.😊