BigskyKM

Packer for hire?

Hey guys, I'm considering going for the late season bull elk hunt in 6a this year and I most likely will be going solo.  Do any of you guys know of a a packer in that area who can help get an elk out...potentially out of a canyon?  I hunted 6A early archery a few years ago and got familiar with the unit.  As I envision what the late hunt would be like, I imagine hunting in the canyon country and if successful, a bull may end up in a pretty nasty place as its final resting place.  I would have no problem recovering and butchering the elk, but just thinking it would be nice to have some help in getting one out if possible.  Thx in advance.

I too would be curious.  The old back is not what it used to be and I know there are some bad canyons in 6A.  It would be nice to have info ahead of time if the situation presented itself.  My friend is old like me so that doesn't help.

That unit doesn't seem like a packer type area. Pretty good access on roads. If you drop something in a canyon you will most likely have to pack it to horse access anyway. I've done a little riding up there around some of the canyons and horses can't just pile off anywhere. 

That being said the main issues for packers is there just aren't many out there in az these days and of course the game laws hinder recreational guys like me from helping unless we do it at our expense. 

Might be worth it to check out some of the ranches up there in the unit to see if they have Cowboys who would help close by . 

• Like 3

Unfortunately there are not many "Packer" services in Az.  In the past when I've needed help I've hired local kids to help pack out.  Most guys will help for free if beers are included with a steak dinner.  I've paid a few guys over the years as well.  Once you have a bull down make a post stating you need help and you will have all the help you need!!!

• Like 3

Thanks for responses. I did draw 6A and saw the old post. I hadn’t thought of the fact that you would probably still have to lug it out to a horse, which means a quad would be about the same. Over the years my job has evolved to mostly desk time and I am painfully aware at 52 I cannot do what I used to do.  I am starting to get more active and have plenty of time to be in better condition for the hunt, was just spitballing ideas. A weak back has always been my limit and it’s almost comical how just one wrong turn or twist can totally immobile you if your not careful. 

Sounds like a canyon bull will be a shared bull! Which works for me! Do those Creedmore’s pull game towards you with the backdraft?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hunterjohnny said:

Thanks for responses. I did draw 6A and saw the old post. I hadn’t thought of the fact that you would probably still have to lug it out to a horse, which means a quad would be about the same. Over the years my job has evolved to mostly desk time and I am painfully aware at 52 I cannot do what I used to do.  I am starting to get more active and have plenty of time to be in better condition for the hunt, was just spitballing ideas. A weak back has always been my limit and it’s almost comical how just one wrong turn or twist can totally immobile you if your not careful. 

Sounds like a canyon bull will be a shared bull! Which works for me! Do those Creedmore’s pull game towards you with the backdraft?

I go for the gold during the hunt, my back pays the check afterwards.

• Like 1

Take a knife, fork, salt, pepper and a months supply of toilet paper. 

Kent 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now there is a business idea.  You only work from August to January  and sit on you butt the rest of the year watching TV and drinking beer.

Find you a couple of guys off the Hotshot crew usually their work is slow that time of year might cost you a little money but they're tough and they get after it

On 3/12/2019 at 3:54 AM, Hunterjohnny said:

I have an early archery tag and my son has the youth cow tag this season.  I certainly won't mind one more trip up to help recover an animal.  We live in the far North valley and most of 6A is a short run.  I'll PM you my contact info and am happy to help for a couple steaks and a decent six pack of stouts as long as I don't have another obligation going that day.