JBenz63

When you’re upset you don’t draw

12 hours ago, ThomC said:

Did anyone watch the G&F commission meeting yesterday?  They are suggesting changing management guidelines for the trophy Elk hunts in 8,9 10,1,and 23.  Surveys show a decrease in older age bulls.  So, a reduction in bull permits to stop that decrease is being proposed.   Their will be more opportunities for sportsmen to discuss this.  Are you willing to reduce the number of permits to increase the older trophy bull population?  Once again you have to chose opportunity for many or trophys for a few. 

Lots of other interesting stuff at the commission meeting also.   😐

Yes. Cow permits too should be reduced and the signing over permits to juniors too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, PRDATR said:

and the signing over permits to juniors too.

Can you elaborate on that?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Coach said:

What I wouldn't give to have a late December coues tag in 23 or 24A in 1985. 

I had a Dec tag in 23 in 1985 and got my first deer ever.  It was the second biggest Coues taken that year and grossed 126.  Ah, the good ole days!

• Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 7:55 AM, Flatlander said:

Can you elaborate on that?

Was a good idea back in the day. Problem is the abuse of family members who have no intention of ever hunting putting in just for points to roll them over. Kids have a lifetime to accumulate points. They either want to hunt or not. When they are young they have no clue. Daddy has mega bucks and kiddo wacks a trophy at 1200 yards with a high dollar rig to feed Daddy's ego disguised as "Hunter Recourtment". 

Kids need to go through the same trial and errors.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Was a good idea back in the day. Problem is the abuse of family members who have no intention of ever hunting putting in just for points to roll them over. Kids have a lifetime to accumulate points. They either want to hunt or not. When they are young they have no clue. Daddy has mega bucks and kiddo wacks a trophy at 1200 yards with a high dollar rig to feed Daddy's ego disguised as "Hunter Recourtment". 

I remember this now. You hate the claw for the same reason right? Is it just anything that helps kids kill stuff? Just kidding I know that’s not the case.

But I think the scenario you just described is less common than the other end of the spectrum where parents and grandparents are giving kids a chance at drawing any elk tag in their first few years of applying. Telling a kid to wait until he is 15 to hunt cows is not good for recruitment. This year my kids have 5 total apps in. Mine, my wife’s their grandma’s and their own. Of that if we draw a tag for each of them, we’d be pretty lucky. Almost all of our apps are for cow tags, except my son who has a condition that allows him to receive donated tags. For us, it’s about getting kids out there. If someone is forking our cash to apply a couple extra grandparents every year, big deal, it’s not killing the odds.

• Like 4

Almost every person I know does this. Either to keep there kids in tags or to keep them selfs In tags. 

• Like 1

Just now, trphyhntr said:

I think you should have to own land to put in for hunts and to vote 

I think you should have to be active duty military or a veteran to vote and own land

Just now, oz31p said:

I think you should have to be active duty military or a veteran to vote and own land

I think that’s how it is in North Korea, maybe you should check it out 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

I think that’s how it is in North Korea, maybe you should check it out 

I did in 2002

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Just my perspective, but having my sons able to go out on youth cow hunts when they were starting out was pretty awesome. After they all got their first cow, they wanted to go for bulls. Now comes the waiting game. My oldest took to bow hunting and has had 2 archery bull hunts in a good unit. The other two, well, waiting for a rifle or muzzle loader bull hunt could take a long time. I'm OK with that. But having a backup plan for cows while waiting for a bull tag isn't a bad thing.

That said, my wife isn't a hunter, and we've never put her in for a hunt for the sole purpose of handing down a tag to one of the kids. Some folks do, and I have no problem with that. It's playing the odds and using the existing, legal opportunities to get the kids in the field - and that's a good thing IMO.

• Like 2