JBenz63

When you’re upset you don’t draw

I agree with PRDATR.  It's kind of funny to listen to us Gen Xers talk about their kids like they're disadvantaged.  There are other ways to hunt that don't require a big game permit.  

4 hours ago, Saguaro said:

I agree with PRDATR.  It's kind of funny to listen to us Gen Xers talk about their kids like they're disadvantaged.  There are other ways to hunt that don't require a big game permit.  

Who said their kids were disadvantaged? What I said was I wanted them to go hunting.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, Flatlander said:

Who said their kids were disadvantaged? What I said was I wanted them to go hunting. 

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

it is reasonable, and for the few that "abuse" the system by putting in grandmas and grandpas or their wives who will never set foot afield, I'm sure there have been tags wasted every year when multiple tags are drawn by those who don't hunt.  They used to require the tag holder to accompany the youth hunter, and that stopped some of the abuse perhaps, but for the kids who do get to hunt, well we're all probably better off for it in spite of those who abuse it.  That said, when signing over tags started we didn't have the pointguard system so some of the "wasted tags" are probably reduced some nowadays.

Too bad we can't see how many tags are signed over to junior hunters every year.  It may a lot fewer than we think.

As Saguaro said though, kids don't need a big game tag to hunt.  As a kid growing up I certainly looked forward to a dove hunt more-so than a deer hunt.  As a "junior", elk wasn't an option.  For "us" however, there is not much that compares to an elk tag and why we're here online talking about it in February! 

Left over tags every year. Youth hunts that fall after a general season opens are a joke for the kids. Put them in for a general tag and have better draw odds.

And... make everyone pay the full price up front like the paper apps. Might slow it down a little. I never put other family members in for drawing tags.  My daughter hunted deer and pigs every year she could til college. Next year she should draw a rifle bull tag....with her points just like we adults do. Pretty simple and not cheating the system. Might as well change a couple numbers around and get ebt and access too if your gonna cheat. You are taking something that isnt yours.... IE my elk tag.

I’m all for pretty much any system that helps kids get tags but adults piggy backing on bonus points is getting a little out of hand. Ever wonder how some of the big arizona hunting “social media influencers” get tags every year? They put everyone they know in for all the species and when they get up to enough points, they piggy back on them. Do this with 10 or so people and after 10 years or so, you could all but guarantee a tag every year. And to sweeten the pot, now we have pointguard so you can piggy back off someone 2 years in a row. 

1 hour ago, TOBY said:

No ten year old should have bull tag or a rut tag...NONE

Well I'm glad my daughter was 11 last year when she drew hers with 1 point!!!!  LMFAO what a bunch of sour grapes around here.  Adults have abused the system far more then parents do to get their kids a quality tag...  

• Like 5

I’d rather see kids have bull/rut tags than the hillbilly’s I see road hunt Friday and Saturday and quit Sunday mid day 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I’d rather see kids have bull/rut tags than the hillbilly’s I see road hunt Friday and Saturday and quit Sunday mid day 

Who cares how other people hunt 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Who cares how other people hunt 

Its right there in my post “I” would rather ... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Kids don’t care about what tag they get. Unless the parents make them feel like they have to have a bull tag 

That's "mostly" true IMO, but not always.  When my 13 yr old son took a cow at 30 yds in a 6A juniors hunt, with a nice bull bugling 20 yards away from us, he specifically asked me to put him in for a bull tag for the next year.  When applying the following year, he reminded me that he wanted a bull tag, so I reluctantly went ahead and put him in for a Sept. rifle bull first choice, juniors cow second choice knowing his odds were 1/100 of drawing the rifle bull tag.  He not only drew the rifle bull tag, but took a nice 6x with it! ... his one and only bull tag to date btw.

• Like 4