JBenz63

When you’re upset you don’t draw

19 minutes ago, TOBY said:

So when did unit 7 get split? Ive been hunting it since 07 and it was split then.

Don't remember for sure but probably soon after these regs, 2000- 2001. Because 7 was split into 3 units originally. Anyone else remember hunting 7 metro before it was changed to 11m?

If you are interested in the past draws go to G&F site and download the hunt survey for back years.  

One thing I find troubling is how G&F continues to allocate late bull hunts in areas like 1 & 27. These used to be pretty tough hunts. Thick country, bulls not bugling, etc. After all these big fires the success rate has gone up dramatically. Better optics, long range guns, more open country due to burned out areas. A lot more young to mid range bulls are being killed, and G&F hasn't adjusted accordingly. IMO, this hurts the bull populations in some of our premier trophy units. 

• Like 1

Any elk was cool. Just like 22 was any antlered deer. Over the counter with pig also.

We used to slaughter cows on the archery hunts. Most of the guys griping about how many tags are issued now have no idea how many cows we were killing in the 90’s and 00’s. The Dept made a conscious decision to increase opportunity by shifting tags to bull hunts while simultaneously increasing herd numbers by reducing cow harvest. 

The results are exactly what Wildwoody described. More elk, fewer older age class bulls. Same $ in Dept budget.

I would say this was the fundamental shift that moved AZ away from the trophy Mecca it once was and into a more balanced state. Still WAY better than most, but not what it was.

I don’t hate it, but man what I wouldn’t give for a 2000 3C archery bull tag.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, trphyhntr said:

Who cares about cows 

Well, anybody that wants to hunt bulls better care about cow numbers.

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the G&F commission meeting yesterday?  They are suggesting changing management guidelines for the trophy Elk hunts in 8,9 10,1,and 23.  Surveys show a decrease in older age bulls.  So, a reduction in bull permits to stop that decrease is being proposed.   Their will be more opportunities for sportsmen to discuss this.  Are you willing to reduce the number of permits to increase the older trophy bull population?  Once again you have to chose opportunity for many or trophys for a few. 

Lots of other interesting stuff at the commission meeting also.   😐

• Love 1

On 2/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, Flatlander said:

We used to slaughter cows on the archery hunts. Most of the guys griping about how many tags are issued now have no idea how many cows we were killing in the 90’s and 00’s. The Dept made a conscious decision to increase opportunity by shifting tags to bull hunts while simultaneously increasing herd numbers by reducing cow harvest. 

The results are exactly what Wildwoody described. More elk, fewer older age class bulls. Same $ in Dept budget.

I would say this was the fundamental shift that moved AZ away from the trophy Mecca it once was and into a more balanced state. Still WAY better than most, but not what it was.

I don’t hate it, but man what I wouldn’t give for a 2000 3C archery bull tag.

What I wouldn't give to have a late December coues tag in 23 or 24A in 1985. 

• Like 3