ctafoya

Hunting other states

I think NM does a pretty good job with their application system and mandatory reporting. Plus, if you ever call NM G&F with a question, you get someone who is generally very helpful and knowledgeable.  

My buddy has family in Kentucky and Iowa, all we have to do is show up and hunt there farms.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

I like that AZ has a draw for each species with 5 hunt choices. Last I used UT you got I application that you had to put your choices on Deer, Elk once in a lifetime, that's the part I did not like.

Yes, you only get one choice in Utah for the once in a lifetime, limited deer, pronghorn and two for elk. You are pretty much going for the one non resident random tag in most units unless you have max points. I am not saying the draw odds are good, probably the worst in the west just their online application system is the easiest to navigate for me. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rkv09 said:

Yes, you only get one choice in Utah for the once in a lifetime, limited deer, pronghorn and two for elk. You are pretty much going for the one non resident random tag in most units unless you have max points. I am not saying the draw odds are good, probably the worst in the west just their online application system is the easiest to navigate for me. 

Limiting applicants to one choice is the best thing a state can do to maintain odds.  I wish nevada and New Mexico would change.   A majority of applicants (for whatever reason) put the hardest few hunts.  In states with multiple choices you can play the table and it brings odds way up in mid and lower tier hunts.  If they all did away with multiple choices your odds would go up dramatically 

18 hours ago, bojangles said:

Yeah, some great hunting back east.  I’d look at going in on a lease in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Indiana, or Missouri.  Cheap, good hunting if you are looking, in certain states.  

I was paying 225 for 4 tags in Missouri, 2 deer and 2 turkey, and additional tags were 25 each.

if you’re  single, you need to be dating a midwestern farmers daughter.  Worked for me.

Why do you have to be single?  

27 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Why do you have to be single?  

Dating a woman to gain access to a  hunting lease can be tricky business if your wife finds out.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, bojangles said:

Dating a woman to gain access to a  hunting lease can be tricky business if your wife finds out.

Tooo funny Brian.  I hope you didn't try that :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pwrguy said:

Tooo funny Brian.  I hope you didn't try that :)

Who me??

Nooooo.....

In all seriousness I just found out my FIL sold off some land, so my hunting ground just got smaller.  😢

but he did just build a lake so we could fish when we come out.  So I’ll forgive him.

I put in for Az, NM, Colo, UT, and Wy every year..AZ has the absolute worst most user unfriendly website.  Colorado regs suck and their website is not far behind. Ut,NM and  Wy websites are great. Az should take notes from them. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 9:49 AM, trphyhntr said:

Anyone hunt Idaho otc rifle?

I have the same question!