Sign in to follow this  
Born2hunt

Antelope/Deer Bullet recommendations

Well no elk tag so I figured I’d get my mind off of it by working up a new load for deer/antelope sized critters and I’m trying to decide what bullets to try.  I like two holes so I’ve always shot partitions or Barnes but I’m thinking of extending my range a little to maybe 400 or 500 yards. I planned to use the TTSX since they shoot so well, but I won’t have enough velocity beyond about 350 yards to know for certain that I’ll get good expansion.  Partitions don’t group as well for me at the longer distances. 

After doing some reading and researching I’m finding good info on the Hornady ELD X and Berger. Sounds like Bergers generally explode on impact which gives great results if you hit in the ribs, but less consistent results if you’re a little far forward into the shoulder. The ELD X is pretty new so I mostly find info about accuracy, but not a lot of detail about performance on game. Although what I have found about on game performance has been mostly very positive. 

Do any of you have recommendations for a solid performer for these conditions?  I might have enough points in the next year or two to hunt the strip which was another reason I was thinking about Barnes but I’d want something that I know will expand as the velocity drops off. 

If it performed well on elk that would be nice, but not my main focus right now. 

Another plus to the ELDX is they cost about the same as standard rounds so I could afford to practice with my actual hunting load. 

Thanks for any input!

I was going to suggest the partition but looks like that won't work in your case. The eldx sounds intriguing .

Keven

What caliber?

I have used the eldx in 143 gr on a mule deer, one shot at 220 yards pass through and he dropped in his tracks. I also just used the 145 gr on a javelina at 265 yards and that went through both lungs. The pig ran about 20-30 yards and piled over. Great bullet for thin skinned game but I dont have any experience with them at a long range. 

What cartridge? 

I wonder why you would think a TTSX would not work past 350 for deer/pronghorn, unless you are shooting something like a .223 or .30-30?

Loading up for a .308 I should have said that before. What I’m reading online is that the TTSX should expand down to 1800 FPS (per Hornady) but people in the field tend to need 2000 FPS for consistent expansion. I could step down to a 130 or 150 grain bullet but that would still drop under 2000 FPS at 450 yards. 

Thanks!

I’m thinking I’ll develop some loads with these bullets and see how they do at different ranges, thinking each should have similar on game results -

150 grain .308 TTSX

165 partition 

178 grain ELD x

I'd try a 150 or 165 Accubond.  They are generally easy to load for and get good groups, BC is good, expansion similar to a Partition.

I'm another Nosler Accubond fan.  They are lethal.  In the past two years I've been the trigger man or apart of 4 harvests.  Field reports on game coming out of 7MM RM's with MV 2815-3000 FPS.  All one shot kills.

Muley's at 702 yards (big body, 168gr LR) and 416 yards (age class 160 gr non LR)

Coues at 400 yards (160 gr non LR) and 300 yards (168 gr LR)

I would look at the Amax and SST. We have had great luck with both from 100yds out to 629yds. I saw an elk shot with a .30-378 using the ELDX this past season. The bullet blew up on the shoulder at about 125yds. I wouldn't use it on elk, but it might be great  for smaller game. 

• Like 1

Amax is discontinued, replaced by the ELD, and a lot of bullets will fail at 100 yards, into a shoulder from a 30-378.

150 TTSX or Accubond would get my vote.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Amax is discontinued, replaced by the ELD, and a lot of bullets will fail at 100 yards, into a shoulder from a 30-378.

150 TTSX or Accubond would get my vote.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-max#!/       I may be wrong, but I think they still make them. They are pretty easy to find.

I have not looked into it, as I never shot the Amax, but I remember the plan was to discontinue them with the introduction of the eld.

Most of my deer have gone down to 165 Sierra GK out of 30-06. Had a 165 through and through both shoulders on a deer at 80 yardsish and through a spike bull at 60 yds bullets held up and exited even at a zippy speed you might not see out of the 308. More recently been using 270WIN and had my first chance to take a deer with ELD-X. It was a 350 yard shot and hit just ahead of mid ribs and exited other side back of the diaphragm, I thought the bullet did well to cross through the body lungs and paunch and make an nice exit hole of decent size.  The ELD-X has good BC, been accurate and performed well that one time for us.