Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

I want a 280ai

I want to buy or build a quality lightweight 280ai mountain rifle.   What should I get? Not looking to spend a fortune but know it won't be cheap. Kimber? Bergara? Custom? Something else?  

Just bought the kimber in .308.   Gun weighs in at 4#13 ounces.   Putting a set of talley rings and a swaro 3.5 X 18 ballistic turret scope on top of it.    Should come in right at 6#.   Could go 3-4 ounces lighter with the swaro 3X9 scope but wanted a bit more magnification.   

I couldn't figure out how to make a custom rifle lighter or I would have went that direction.   For a mountain gun I don't think you need a really large cartridge so I went with the .308 to get the lightest rifle possible.   I didn't look hard at the 280 AI though.   I'm planning on this gun to be a 600 yard gun and under.   

CJ, no specific budget. Just seeing recommendations and if performance validates higher price.  I have ZER0 experience with this cartridge.  

Strictly a hunting rifle.  So for me spending $1000 more to gain 1/4 inch of accuracy might not be worth  it.  But I still want something "nice", not a bargain rifle or entry level.  So maybe it is worth it....lol

I am not a "gun guy" so I appreciate all the input and advice.  

• Like 2

How light are you looking for? If you don’t reload, the 280 AI might not be for you. Bergara is nice, the kimber is shaved down to bare minimum and feels way too cheap for me and for that price. I ended up going with the Ridgeline, overall much nicer IMO than the kimber. Plus I hated the action of the kimber and prefer the Remington based action on the Christensen.  Custom  Tikka with a carbon barrel is very nice, as well as a custom r700 carbon barrel.

• Like 2

If you know the general components you like, i would keep an eye on longrangehunting.com classifieds. Lots of rifles for sale for unbelievable deals. Most have load development done too. 

If you were not looking for real light, there is a phenomenal .280AI for sale here.  Barrel is barely broken in, and it is a laser beam.

Bergara Premier mountain rifle. accurate, sweet trigger and action that runs nice.

Custom.  Get exactly what you want.  I am a CRF guy so I love my Winchesters, but the 700 style actions have all the aftermarket support.  Find a good action and a good barrel and the sky is the limit on parts.  

Like the round a lot.  We have one built on a FN Mauser.  Lights out shooter.

So I bought the Kimber ascent and so did my buddy.   Both in .308.   Both are shooting like complete crap.   I'm struggling to get the guns to shoot under 2 MOA.   3MOA is common.   4+ MOA happens frequently.  I've shot over 200 rounds down the tube with factory ammo and mostly handloads.   Tried multiple powders, grain weight bullets, brand bullets, taking 15 minutes to shoot a 3 round string, ect.    Both guns are shooting in the unacceptable range.   Maybe even worse.   I'm going to try and bed the stock and see if that helps.    If not I'm close to out of ideas to get this gun to shoot.    All I really need from this gun is MOA and then I'm happy.   Might have shot (1) 3 shot group just at MOA.   I've got a buddy that has one in .280 AI and it shoots lights out.   Not sure of the difference but it is night and day for sure.    So, I'm 5 days of range time and reloading into the gun and I'm wondering if it might be the wingnut between earth and the gun.   So I broke out my good gun and shot a ragged hole with it just to make sure I'm not a complete looser.

If I was going to do it over I would look hard at the barret field craft.    Might look hard at it anyways and cut my losses shortly.    

You shot 200 rounds in 5 days of range time?  That is 40 rounds/day.  While not extreme, still a lot.  I have heard of mixed issues with the Kimber Mtn. Ascent.  But not 4MOA...in two different rifles.  I would recheck your mounts/scopes.  Just weird you are seeing it in both.

To me, an ultralight rifle is much harder to shoot well than even an 8lb all in rifle.  Not that it can't be done, but you better have darn near perfect form, consistency, and recoil management,  Personally, I would not own a 6# all in rifle unless shots would be under 300-400 max.  My personal "light mountain rifle" still weighs 8.5lbs.  A custom .280AI.  I have shot it very well out to 1250+, and shot out to 1500+ just to check.  

For the price of those Kimbers you would expect them to shoot. Like Lance said check your scope screws and your action screws. Another thing that I'll play with a lightweight rifle is my right hand grip on the stock, and with a lightweight gun I would shoot no more that three rounds. Try a firm grip then a half firm and then a grip just enough that your gun won't jump off the bench.

Might also try some fore end pressure. Those little lightweight barrels can get whippy.