Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

I want a 280ai

I want to buy or build a quality lightweight 280ai mountain rifle.   What should I get? Not looking to spend a fortune but know it won't be cheap. Kimber? Bergara? Custom? Something else?  

Just bought the kimber in .308.   Gun weighs in at 4#13 ounces.   Putting a set of talley rings and a swaro 3.5 X 18 ballistic turret scope on top of it.    Should come in right at 6#.   Could go 3-4 ounces lighter with the swaro 3X9 scope but wanted a bit more magnification.   

I couldn't figure out how to make a custom rifle lighter or I would have went that direction.   For a mountain gun I don't think you need a really large cartridge so I went with the .308 to get the lightest rifle possible.   I didn't look hard at the 280 AI though.   I'm planning on this gun to be a 600 yard gun and under.   

CJ, no specific budget. Just seeing recommendations and if performance validates higher price.  I have ZER0 experience with this cartridge.  

Strictly a hunting rifle.  So for me spending $1000 more to gain 1/4 inch of accuracy might not be worth  it.  But I still want something "nice", not a bargain rifle or entry level.  So maybe it is worth it....lol

I am not a "gun guy" so I appreciate all the input and advice.  

• Like 2

How light are you looking for? If you don’t reload, the 280 AI might not be for you. Bergara is nice, the kimber is shaved down to bare minimum and feels way too cheap for me and for that price. I ended up going with the Ridgeline, overall much nicer IMO than the kimber. Plus I hated the action of the kimber and prefer the Remington based action on the Christensen.  Custom  Tikka with a carbon barrel is very nice, as well as a custom r700 carbon barrel.

• Like 1

If you know the general components you like, i would keep an eye on longrangehunting.com classifieds. Lots of rifles for sale for unbelievable deals. Most have load development done too. 

If you were not looking for real light, there is a phenomenal .280AI for sale here.  Barrel is barely broken in, and it is a laser beam.