Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Cedar Chest

Beautiful work.  I have always had a passion for wanting to do stuff like this but accept the fact now that it is a skill set not in my DNA.  It is a nice piece, good job.

• Like 1

I much prefer visualizing my use of that to your caskets. What a nice piece (so are your caskets), well done!

Hey Jeff , 

i think you got your woods mixed up :) 

just teasing looks great as usual -

have you ever tried these hinges for those big lids ? I loved them for cedar chest lids they hold really well and are a Little stiff so the lid won’t slam shut and they hold the lid open as well .......  they also make a really nice lock that I liked that went on the inside , is all you do is drill one 1/2” hole I think it was and that’s all that’s shown on the front of the cedar chest - kinda makes it nice to be locked up . 

But as usual great work . 

Hope all is well! 

Tommy 

3BCB110F-ABB7-480F-9804-61A46A745901.jpeg

2 hours ago, tomgobbler said:

Hey Jeff , 

i think you got your woods mixed up :) 

just teasing looks great as usual -

have you ever tried these hinges for those big lids ? I loved them for cedar chest lids they hold really well and are a Little stiff so the lid won’t slam shut and they hold the lid open as well .......  they also make a really nice lock that I liked that went on the inside , is all you do is drill one 1/2” hole I think it was and that’s all that’s shown on the front of the cedar chest - kinda makes it nice to be locked up . 

But as usual great work . 

Hope all is well! 

Tommy 

3BCB110F-ABB7-480F-9804-61A46A745901.jpeg

Tommy, funny you should mention the hinges, I have used the ones you picture and various others for similar applications but I decided to try the "torsion" hinges. I read about them and thought I would give them a try.

They keep the lid open no matter where the lid is positioned, very smooth, you lift and it opens up, you push the lid down and it closes.

They are pricey but I really like how they worked on this project. You have to use a calculator and a little bit of math to determine the weight class needed but it is easy enough!

Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge Lid Support, Rustic Bronze

• Like 1

Nice job. Outer appears to be oak, eh? 

As nice as that is, i.e. non-rustic, I probably would have used more formal-type handles, maybe in brushed brass or such. But it still looks great with those. 

Very nice work.  I have two Cedar chests.  Keep most of my camo in them throughout the year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

Nice job. Outer appears to be oak, eh? 

As nice as that is, i.e. non-rustic, I probably would have used more formal-type handles, maybe in brushed brass or such. But it still looks great with those. 

Built specifically off the orders from the boss lady!!! I had already purchased some black handles for the project then she changed my mind:)