Yeah, i love seeing unit 1 go to a draw. Too much potential in that unit. 

• Like 1

No b!tch!ng yet? I like my paper apps, but I think only doing it one way should streamline the process. 

Paper Application Deadline Is Early The deadline to submit PAPER applications is 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 14, 2019. The deadline to submit ONLINE applications is 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, 2019. This is the last draw in which paper applications will be accepted.

10 hours ago, mc68 said:

No offense hunthard, but couldn't disagree with you more on that...

Look at the 3A3C l. The age class has continued to improve since getting rid of the otc there. If you’re looking for opportunity I can see you opposing it, but I live in unit 1 and see the crazy influx every weekend when the otc is going. There’s still 200 more tags on the general hunt than the 3c hunt so in my opinion still enough opportunity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mc68 said:

No offense hunthard, but couldn't disagree with you more on that...

Please explain? 

I'm really glad to see unit 1 go to a draw. Living up here my whole life, it's obvious that unit 1 has amazing potential, especially after the burns. hunthard is absolutely correct. You only have to look at 3A/3C to see that the quality of deer goes up when you give those yearling bucks a chance to grow. 

Generally speaking, unit 1 used to have tons of deer. They were everywhere. But it kind of turned into a cluster "F". Lots of road hunting, yearling bucks killed en-masse. I actually advocated for an antler restriction like New Mexico has so we could rebuild the age-class deer unit 1 has to offer. Guess how well that went - ha. 

Our habitat is perfect for growing not only herd size, but trophy quality deer. We just have to back off a bit and let them mature.

Unit 1 & 27 are rebounding after years - decades of over allocation of tags. 

Gents, 3A/3C, 23 are becoming strip-like tags in terms of trophy potential. 1 & 27 will do the same if we allow the bucks to mature. 

The stories I've heard about 27 back in the "good old days" - and I actually saw it back then when I first came here from Oklahoma. Back then, there were something like 1700 tags - anyone could hunt - and there were deer everywhere. I didn't even have a pair of binoculars the first year I hunted 27 back in the '80s. 

Point being, of course we all know G&F is all about over-allocating tags because that means $$$ for them. Managing 3A/C for trophy potential should be a blueprint for 1 & 27. It works. 

• Like 2

People will allways wine. Not enough deer in Unit 1. Leave it at that..............BOB!

7 hours ago, Coach said:

I'm really glad to see unit 1 go to a draw. Living up here my whole life, it's obvious that unit 1 has amazing potential, especially after the burns. hunthard is absolutely correct. You only have to look at 3A/3C to see that the quality of deer goes up when you give those yearling bucks a chance to grow. 

Generally speaking, unit 1 used to have tons of deer. They were everywhere. But it kind of turned into a cluster "F". Lots of road hunting, yearling bucks killed en-masse. I actually advocated for an antler restriction like New Mexico has so we could rebuild the age-class deer unit 1 has to offer. Guess how well that went - ha. 

Our habitat is perfect for growing not only herd size, but trophy quality deer. We just have to back off a bit and let them mature.

Gents, 3A/3C, 23 are becoming strip-like tags in terms of trophy potential. 1 & 27 will do the same if we allow the bucks to mature. 

The stories I've heard about 27 back in the "good old days" - and I actually saw it back then when I first came here from Oklahoma. Back then, there were something like 1700 tags - anyone could hunt - and there were deer everywhere. I didn't even have a pair of binoculars the first year I hunted 27 back in the '80s. 

Point being, of course we all know G&F is all about over-allocating tags because that means $$$ for them. Managing 3A/C for trophy potential should be a blueprint for 1 & 27. It works. 

Are you saying antler restrcitions in NM did not work?  If so why not? 

27 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Are you saying antler restrcitions in NM did not work?  If so why not? 

Yes antler restriction did not work in NM and won’t ever work.  All they do is increase harvest on middle class deer by forcing everyone to be trophy hunters.  In turn less deer will make it to be older.  Allowing people to kill smaller bucks actuals leave more of different age class bucks to get older.   Othing wrong with folks shooting fork horns if that’s what floats their boat.

Look at elk popualtions, no antler restrictions just very limited license.  Bulls get old and big.  Simple functions low license # = older animals.  

Same old argument do you want big deer then you have to restrict licenses or would you rather go hunting every year and be happy with younger deer?  Antler restrictions don’t solve anything.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:31 PM, Coach said:

The managing for quality works yes. Is that the right thing to do is the real question. Most of our units are over hunted, but I see tags getting harder to get each year. It's a tough situation. I like the idea of keeping some units for quality and some units for opportunity. 

• Like 1

I went to big 5 yesterday and they didn't have em yet. I bet this week! ........BOB!