AzDiamondHeat

Any boat guys want to give advice?

Best advice to give a person looking for a boat....

Don't.  Rent one whenever you want to go.

• Like 7

I got the bass tracker 16.8' with the four stroke, $9995.99, love it just no time to us it. Hope that changes. Good luck

On 5/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, AzDiamondHeat said:

Looking to buy a small/medium family type boat. Where to start?  Any to stay away from?

Fish and skis are probably your best bet, but dont get one under 20 foot cause they suckfor room and dotn take waves that well. if you buy used and its an outboard get a 8-9 year old or newer and make sure you have it checked out before you buy it. if its a merc performance marine in Glendale if its anything else I dotn know anyone I would trust, outboards are expensive to replace and there aint many worth a shoot mechanics anymore that wont blow smoke up your butt.

if your mechanically incline a used boat would be fine, otherwise new. Either one you get serviced 2 times a year regardless. if its used or not. not a half butt service but a complete service.

Mercs are about the most dependable out boards and theres a dang good mechanic in the valley for them. the boat itsself nothing really goes wrong unless you scrape bottom or have some funky wiring and there easy to fix on a weekend.

I been pondering on getting another one I  just have time to fish like I used too. (which was every day almost) Ive rebuilt many outboards it simple and cheap, but if you dont have the knowledge its a pain in the butt and expensive.

my only fishing partners still has his 2005 gambler with a 200 merc we ran the shoot out of that boat almost everyday and hard for a bunch of years. then it sat for about 2 years . had a few minor problems but still running strong as when he bought it.

Most fish and skies are family boats and dont get used that often so you could probably go older. stay aways from bass boats from patch Pirates unless you know the guy cause they use the heck out of them.

I’m in the minority here. I bought a brand new sea ray 18.5 footer. Never had any issues. Always wiped it down after lake days never beached it. Used it pretty hard but always stored in the garage. Ended up selling it for my asking price!  Buy new and take care of it.

• Like 2

I had a 17ft about 14 years ago when I lived in Tucson, used it for two years then sold it, the trips to the lake were a whole weekend because of the distance- slowly stopped using it.

Last week we got a used 21ft Sea Ray with a 5.7 liter with 360 hours ($7500)... We have used it 3 times thus far and loved every minute of it- if we rented a boat for 3 trips we would have paid rental fees of $1000, which I know we wouldn't of done....probably just sat home.  Looking at the receipts from the previous owner, looks like on average $300 a year in maintenance.  

From my door to the boat launched is 30 mins for Saguaro and about 50 mins to Canyon - very glad I can store the boat at my home.  Very nice to get to lake around 8 am and be home around 2.  Saguaro gets very busy on weekends, definitely have to be on the look out - boats and jets skis move fast on the lake.

Like I said, so far it's been a blast.  Good Luck 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redman said:

I had a 17ft about 14 years ago when I lived in Tucson, used it for two years then sold it, the trips to the lake were a whole weekend because of the distance- slowly stopped using it.

Last week we got a used 21ft Sea Ray with a 5.7 liter with 360 hours ($7500)... We have used it 3 times thus far and loved every minute of it- if we rented a boat for 3 trips we would have paid rental fees of $1000, which I know we wouldn't of done....probably just sat home.  Looking at the receipts from the previous owner, looks like on average $300 a year in maintenance.  

From my door to the boat launched is 30 mins for Saguaro and about 50 mins to Canyon - very glad I can store the boat at my home.  Very nice to get to lake around 8 am and be home around 2.  Saguaro gets very busy on weekends, definitely have to be on the look out - boats and jets skis move fast on the lake.

Sounds like my times to the lake when I was in Gilbert.

10 minutes ago, Redman said:

I had identical trip times. Lived in Gilbert. Saguaro always got the nod. I lived for Wednesday’s between 3p-7p hellofa way to break your week up from work and often had the lake ourselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redman said:

Thats another good one inboard outboard a 4 stroke car motor  easy to work on cheap on gas, Parts are avail at autoparts store.

23 hours ago, mopa6007 said:

I have a 13 foot aluminum with 40 hp and tilt motor and trailer I am thinking of selling. Let me know if interested. Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

Definitely NOT interested.  OP maybe, I've been there done that, will rent from here on out.